Can't install LaserJet 2500

Old March 22nd 07, 12:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Birk Binnard

Default Can't install LaserJet 2500

My brand new Vista system refuses to install the software for my
LaserJet 2500 printer. I know it's supposed to use the generic PCL6
driver for this printer and that seems to get installed ok, but there is
no communication with the printer.

I can't even add it as a network printer when the printer is connected
to an XP system. HP and Vista say the corect software is supposed to be
installed by Vista when I plug the printer in to a USB port, but
whatever it is that gets installed does not work.

Any ideas of what I can try?

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com
Old March 22nd 07, 02:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BigJim

I am not familiar with the 2500 but if you are using a parallel port check
the bios to make sure it is still setup.
Vista changed my setup in the bios, I know it hard to believe but I didn't
do it. BTW I am the only one who
uses this home machine.

Old March 22nd 07, 03:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

HP website says PCL5:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=2093

Don't know if that makes a difference.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

Old March 22nd 07, 07:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Birk Binnard

I've got it connected to USB but nothing seems to make that work. Maybe
Vista needs parallel??
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com
Old March 22nd 07, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Birk Binnard

I must have missed the comment about PCL5. Tried that...no joy.

It seems odd that the printer recognition function that worked so well
in XP would get munged up in Vista. Looks like some hotfix will be needed.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com
Old March 22nd 07, 08:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Birk Binnard

I tried connecting the printer to my PC's parallel port. That got the
printer to print in B/W only (the 2500 is a color lLaserJet).

I also Googled "LaserJet 2500 Vista" and found there was m HPa file
named HP_Vista_SF_Ph1.exe but that was no improvement.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com
Old March 22nd 07, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Put a quick post in microsoft.public.windows.vista.print_fax_scan and that
way we'll get more folks in the right area looking at this.

Old March 22nd 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Birk Binnard

I called HP Support and they said there simply is no Vista driver
available yet for the Color Laserjet printers. They said it might be
ready by the end of the month. In the meantime, no way to get the
printer working under Vista.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com
Old March 22nd 07, 10:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I have my LJ2200d installed with VISTA Business "out of the box".

I forgot to unplug, as you should with USB, and left it plugged in,
together with my PS8250, and both were detected by VISTA and run with
the built in drivers.

I'd be inclined to unplug the printer and it's USB cable from the PC,
uninstall anything to do with the printer that may show in Add/Remove
Programs and reboot.

Then plug in the printer and cable and if Found New Hardware comes up
let it proceed.

That worked for me. I did not install the PCL 5 or 6 drivers on the HP
website.

Old March 23rd 07, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Mike O

"Birk Binnard" wrote in message
I called HP Support and they said there simply is no Vista driver available
yet for the Color Laserjet printers. They said it might be ready by the
end of the month. In the meantime, no way to get the printer working under
Vista.
--
Birk Binnard
http://www.birkbinnard.com

I just purchased a ColorLaserjet 2605dn for use with my Vista Business 32
bit. Prior to purchasing the printer I confirmed that HP had a vista driver
showing on their web site (the "universal driver"). I did a general google
web and newsgroup search for "HP 2605" and "Vista" and didn't find any
issues.

However, after I set up the printer, the driver installed, but never would
talk to the printer. If I right clicked on "properties" on the printer, I
got an "Explorer stopped working" message. Searching the net found I
several other users having this problem with the universal driver on Vista
(not specifically with the 2605).

After trying all kinds of reinstalls, system restore, etc. I downloaded and
installed the Windows XP version of the PCL6 driver for the 2605. It seems
to be working fine now.

Vista was beta for a long time, and released to "corporate customers" (I
would think HP would qualify) over three months ago. Somebody really
dropped the ball on the HP printer drivers...
Mike O.