Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

Old March 23rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

Default Why doesn't Windows recognise my DVD burner?

Hi folks,

I have a Liteon SHM-165P6S DVD-RW device and I can write discs with
3rd-party tools such as DeepBurner, but Vista doesn't recognise its burning
capabilities. For example, the 'DVD Burner' list in DVD Maker is empty.

Any ideas why this may be? How can I resolve this lack of Windows
functionality?

cheers,
Ben

Old March 23rd 07, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
BigJim

just a guess but one might think that Vista does not have the necessary
drivers to recognize your drive.

Old March 23rd 07, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
Hi folks,

I have a Liteon SHM-165P6S DVD-RW device and I can write discs with
3rd-party tools such as DeepBurner, but Vista doesn't recognise its
burning capabilities. For example, the 'DVD Burner' list in DVD
Maker is empty.
Any ideas why this may be? How can I resolve this lack of Windows
functionality?

cheers,
Ben

Try this, right click the drive in Explorer, select properties, go to the
recording tab and make sure "Enable CD recording on this drive is selected,"
click apply and ok. If it's already selected, unselect it, click apply and
ok, then select it gain and click apply and ok. By the way, if it's not
selected and selecting it resolves the issue, you may have to unselect it to
get all the functions of your third party software to work again.
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 23rd 07, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Ben

Hi Michael,

When viewing the Drive properties there is no Recording tab. When viewing
that device there are four tabs:
- General
- Hardware
- Sharing
- Customize

When viewing the hardware properties there are five tabs:
- General
- DVD Region
- Volumes
- Driver
- Details

cheers,
Ben

Old March 23rd 07, 10:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
[...]

I apologize. I don't have a Vista setup running right now and I thought
when I had done it I had done so the same as I had in XP. Try this, go to
Vista help and use Enable CD Recording as your search topic and see if that
brings up the steps to do it. Based on the symptoms you described, it
sounds as though recording isn't enabled on that drive but since I don't
have my setup running, I cannot give you the exact steps.
--
Michael Solomon

Old March 23rd 07, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
loaderopp

my computer, click on DVD burner, right click properties, top of menu, right
side click and select drive to burn to

Old March 24th 07, 11:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
loaderopp

Go to my computer, Highlight your DVD burner, Right click your mouse button
on your highlighted drive. Slide down to bottom of pop up menu. Right click
mouse button on properties. A menu will appear, On the top right side of menu
it will say
(recording) Right click on recording. another menu will appear you can
select what drive to want to record to.

Old March 26th 07, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Ben wrote:
Thanks for your reply, but there is no Recording menu on that drive. :-(
Ben

Maybe your drive isn't being recognized as a recordable drive. Have you
checked it's properties as well as how it appears in Device Manager?
--
Michael Solomon