Compatibility Tab Privilege Level greyed out

Old March 23rd 07, 01:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jeremey

Default Compatibility Tab Privilege Level greyed out

Hello,
I have an issue with a new domain setup. New Server 2003 R2 AD server,
basic install, default settings. Two new Vista Business Ed boxes. We have
an application that needs the Privilege Level Run as Administrator checked
(according to the application developer it runs with the box checkec), but no
matter what user I log in as, Domain Admin, Local Admin, etc.. the box is
always Greyed Out. I went through the local system policy looking for an
option to allow the ability to check the box but couldn't find anything.
Any thoughts?
Thanks for you help in advance,
Jeremey
Old March 23rd 07, 02:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

Are you accessing the properties of a shortcut?

If so, you need to click the advanced... button under the shortcut tab.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/
Old March 23rd 07, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jeremey

Hi Jimmy,
That didn't seem to work. It is a shortcut. Why would the Run as
Administrator check box be greyed out in the Compatibility tab. On this
machine it is that way for all Short Cuts no matter which login I use.
Thanks again,
Jeremey

Old March 23rd 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Phil Wilson

These are grayed out if the app has an internal manifest that declares its
run level.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP Windows Installer]

Old March 25th 07, 06:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

I'm not sure why it works this way.

If you are accessing the properties of an EXE, then you use the
compatability tab to set the program to always ask for your permission when
it starts.

If you are accessing the properties of a shortcut, then you click the
"advanced..." button on the shortcut tab, and there is a checkbox there "Run
as administrator" that you use to make the shortcut to always ask for your
permission when you double-click on it.

You have to do it differently for shortcuts vs. exe's.

Old March 27th 07, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jeremey

Hi Phil,
So according to the developer they do not see this issue in their
environment. Is there anything in local permission or an AD GPU that might
change this?
Thanks,
Jeremey

Old May 15th 08, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
MajinBoo

COMPATIBILITY TAB GRAYED OUT ???

HOW TO BYPASS IT IN WINDOWS VISTA ?

- open REGEDIT
- goto "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers"
- create a new String Value
- name or rename it as the application full path e.g. " C:\Program
Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe " to modify compatibilty "layer"
of Internet Explorer, normally with Com tab obscured because it is
part of the system, the actual Windows Vista version.
- right click on the new String and select Modify
- type RUNASADMIN in the Value Data row; this will classify the
program to be run as Administrator.This allows you to bypass the GUI mode of settings editing. Instead u
edit settings by registry. And of course you can ignore the advanced
properties of the shortcut. Better launch the program in default
administrator mode !

I've used it for Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) that is part of the
system.

A desktop shortcut can be set to run as administrative mode.
But, if i launch the IE7 browser from a URL or Favorite link this won't
work and Windows Vista will run it in User Mode... UNLESS I'VE CHANGED
THOSE OPTIONS WITH REGEDIT. To run regedit go to Start Menu and then
"Run..." type REGEDIT.EXE or REGEDIT.

Other Options and some examples.
Always in the key called HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers u can add more variables:

RUNASADMIN: i've just told, Run That Program As Administrator
;
256COLOR: Run the program in 256 colors;
640X480: add this value to run a game or other application in a lower
res;
DISABLETHEMES: add it to disable Windows visual themes 4 that app;
DISABLEDWM: Disabled desktop composition;
HIGHDPIAWA Disable display scaling on high DPI settings;

ELEVATECREATEPROCESS: i dunno, unknown function.

COMPATIBILITY VALUES (don't use'em together, only one per app !):
WIN95: to add Windows 95 compatibilty mode;
WIN98: to add Windows Millennium or 98 compatibility mode;
NT4SP5: NT 4.0 Service Pack Five Com Mode;
WIN2000: type it to add Windows 2K compatibility mode;
WINXPSP2: Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility mode;
WINSRV03SP1: Windows Server 2003 SP 1 com mode.

Windows also creates these option strings when you change Compatibilty
Settings in the properties of the selected executable (GUI mode, Not
Regedit Mode).

REGEDIT IS AWESOME, BUT USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK !

--
MajinBoo