Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5

Old March 27th 07, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
casey

Default Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x88982F5

When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?

Vista is getting exceedingly frustrating. So many of its features would be
really cool -- if they worked!

Thanks for any help.

-Casey
Old March 29th 07, 06:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
casey

"Casey" wrote:

When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?

To make things more interesting:

A day after posting this, I tried adding tags again -- and it worked! I
added tags to a year's worth of pictures. I was able to sort them any way I
wanted. It was great. Life was good. (I backed everything up afterward to
my external drive too.)

Then today I downloaded more pictures from my camera and attempted to add
tags. Guess what? Unexpected Error. I then tried adding tags on the pics
that I had worked on the night before. Unexpected Error. I changed the
directory view so that I could see the tags column for each picture, and on
all but 4 pics the tag data was gone. The ratings were still intact, oddly
enough. But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
somewhere evidently.

(I checked my backups and sure enough, the tag data is invisible there too.)

What's wrong with Vista?
Old March 29th 07, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 23:04:02 -0700, Casey

When I attempt to add a tag or rating to my photos, I get the message "An
unexpected error is preventing the operation" and "Error 0x88982F50". Does
anyone have a clue about why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?

I have seen this, but there may be two possible causes:
- known-dubious RAM in test PC (Vista64 RTM)
- experimenting with tags containing the "/" character

The crashes didn't happen before the first use of "/", and thereafter
happened when accessing tags in files other than that which had a tag
containg the "/" character.

[...]

I thought the behavior of "/" in tags was a bug, but was told it's a
feature for creating a heirarchy of tags. The behavior is that when
one or more "/" characters are in a tag, only hte text after the last
"/" is displayed, though the full tag is shown in the ToolTip.

------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Our senses are our UI to reality
------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Old March 29th 07, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
casey

Default Adding tag or rating to picture returns unexpected error 0x889

Thanks for the reply.

My RAM has tested OK using Vista's Memory Diagnostics Tool on the standard
setting. Perhaps I'll try it on Extended as well.

I don't recall ever trying to use the "/" character in my tags. Perhaps I
typed another reserved character on accident at one point.

I wrote:
But stranger yet, if I searched the directory using one of my tag
terms, all the correct pics were displayed. So, the data still exists
somewhere evidently.

Now searches only work on the 4 pictures that still have their tags. I
think the search must have been using cached data at the time.

Any troubleshooting ideas? I'm considering reinstalling Vista at this point
to see if the problem persists.

Thanks,
Casey
Old March 29th 07, 10:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Guest

It may depend on exactly the format of your pictures what is happening. As
there are compatability metadata issues (your tags may exist in older and
newer data structures). If Vista reads from an old data structure (or it
exists) then tags get written to both new and old.

The fact that it works sometimes may mean below is a good thing to try.
Tests to see if other software is causing problem.

Search Google for "Advanced clean boot troubleshooting" as MS has nobbled
Vista's Help. (Google will find it - Vista won't).

Also review these pages in case one contains a solution
http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...a=lr%3Dlang_en

Old March 30th 07, 07:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
casey

"." wrote:

It may depend on exactly the format of your pictures what is happening. As
there are compatability metadata issues (your tags may exist in older and
newer data structures). If Vista reads from an old data structure (or it
exists) then tags get written to both new and old.

FWIW, I grabbed some jpegs off the web, just to make sure it wasn't a
problem with my camera/pics, and I have the same error with all pics.

The fact that it works sometimes may mean below is a good thing to try.
Tests to see if other software is causing problem.

Search Google for "Advanced clean boot troubleshooting" as MS has nobbled
Vista's Help. (Google will find it - Vista won't).

Also review these pages in case one contains a solution
http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...a=lr%3Dlang_en

Thanks for the ideas. I've investigated things pretty much as far as I can
now. I disabled all startup programs, every non-windows service, and every
windows service that wasn't absolutely necessary (there were 3 of these).
The error remains.

I was able to get the tags to display one time after I had gone into Event
Viewer/File/Options and hit the Delete Files button. I wanted to see if I
had really fixed it, so I restarted the computer and the error came back. I
haven't been able to repeat my success.

I'm off to try more random things before reinstalling.
Old March 30th 07, 07:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
casey

I hadn't tried using Photo Gallery before, but all tags/ratings etc work from
within that tool!

It's just outside of that tool that I can't update tags or even edit the
picture itself. Doesn't matter if the picture is in the Pictures folder, on
my desktop, or somewhere else. For example, if I right-click a photo on my
desktop, select Properties/Details, add a tag and hit OK, the Unexpected
Error message comes up.

Anyone have any idea why adding tags and editing the photo would work from
within Photo Gallery but not elsewhere?

Thanks,
Casey