Old August 23rd 07, 06:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Michael Solomon

Default The 3 GB Question…

"AzPhotoGuy" wrote in message
I am new to this group, so I apologize in advance if I am asking a
redundant
question. I looked, but didn’t see the answer anywhere.

I understand that a 32 bit operating system can only see 4 gb of RAM.
Windows XP had a switch you could turn on in the boot.ini file that
allowed
you to use 3 gb RAM to a single program. I am a photographer and utilize
Adobe PhotoShop (a huge RAM slut) and after moving from XP to Vista I find
that I effectively went from 3 BG of available RAM in PhotoShop to about
1.7
BG of RAM – creating a huge speed difference. Does Vista have a way to
recreate this 3 GB switch?

The problem is that the 32-bit version of Vista can't map all 4GB.

What you are seeking, I don't think can be done within Vista, at least not
that I'm aware of. However, some systems support memory remapping in the
system BIOS and in those cases you might be able to accomplish the task.
Check the following Knowledge Base article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/

If your system doesn't fall into that category, you might try running with
3GB of ram and see if that provides more available ram to your application.
I make this suggestion only if you happen to be currently running 4GB as
removing 1GB might allow the system to take better advantage of 3GB and
should be able to deal with all of your memory under those conditions.

--
Michael Solomon
Backup is a PC user's best friend