Old November 3rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Kerry Brown

Default Can I use Aero Glass

You may be right. Intel hasn't provided enough information to know for sure.
The Intel presenter was specifically asked if there was a technical reason
why there would be no wddm driver for the 915 series on board graphics and
he said he didn't know of any technical reasons. He did not say it was a
marketing decision. That is my interpolation from what I have read and what
he said at the presentation. He wouldn't give a reason as to why the 915
wouldn't be supported, just that it wouldn't.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

JW wrote:
From some other material I can no longer locate I was under the
impression that the 82915 graphics chip ony had partial onboard
hardware support the requirements of DX9 and that the 82945 graphics
chip apparently has full DX9 onboard support and that therefore some
of the required DX9 functionality for MCE was contained in the WDM
drivers for MCE2005. I would have imagined imagined that if both chips had
identical
support that one set of drivers would be used for both since any
minor differences in the chips could be taken card of within a single
set of drivers. Apparently this is not the case, however, and regretfully
their
Marketing did not want to see the 82915 chip used to meet Vista
Premium specifications.

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message
The 915 supports directx9 and Pixel Shader 2.0

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...1974.htm?prn=Y

http://www.intel.com/technology/itj/...r/p04_gmch.htm

http://www.intel.com/cd/ids/develope...6547.htm?prn=Y

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...G=Search&meta=

It was a marketing decision not a technical decision related to
performance.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Curious wrote:
Kerry,
I think you and JW are saying the same thing. Yes, you are correct
that nothing prevents Intel from writing WDDM driver for the 915
Chipset, however, since functionality required such as DX9 support
rather then the DX8 support contained in the 915 chipset would have
to be included in the driver. ( Note: This is exactly what ATI did
in their Catalyst drivers in order that their 91xx and 92xx chip
based graphics cards could be used with MCE2005) And as you and JW
pointed out this would cause a performance penalty and for this
reason their marketing organization did not want to allocate the R&D
resources to add the functionality to their 945 chipset Vista driver
so that it could also provide the required support for 915 chips.

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message
I agree with Randy H's sentiments if not his method of expressing
them. The 915 graphics does meet the specifications needed for
Intel to write a wddm driver. Even though it meets the
specifications it is possible that the performance would be too
slow. Intel did not say this though. Their stated reason for not
supporting the 915 chipset with a wddm driver was because it was
too old. It was a marketing decision. --
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

JW wrote:
Your remarks are totally uncalled for. Apparently you do not
realize that the 915 grapichs chip does not have the required
functionality internally to support Aero and therfore Intel can
not realease Aero compatible drivers for it without incorporating
the required unique CPU consuming missing functions using vomplex
snd extensive to software within the driver. And even it they
did MS would not allow the 915 chipset to be included in its
designed for Vista premium logo program since the functinality
requied is not in the chipset. However I guess if you were around
when color TV was introduced that you were also very upset when
your TV manufacturer did not upgrade your black and white TV. Or
I guess you are upset if your 720p native resolution HDTV can not
be upgraded to a 1080p native resolution. "RandyH"
wrote in message
F INTEL!!

"Kerry Brown" *a*m wrote in message
Intel has not released wddm drivers for the 915 graphics. At an
Intel road show I attended last week they said they had no plans
to release wddm drivers for this chipset. They explicitly stated
that Aero would not be supported on the 915 chipset series
unless you install a discrete video card. This means laptops
using 915 graphics cannot use Aero. --
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca

chaos29 wrote:
hello,

I have a Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Chipset
Family ( Microsoft Corporation - XDDM ) graphic card. 128 MB

On an Acer TravelMate Notebook.
I cant find anything to enable aero, do I need any special
drivers ? or is it not possible with this graphic card to use
aero ? I am using Vista RC2

thank you