NETWORKING VISTA WITH WINDOWS ME

Old March 31st 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Aaron

Default NETWORKING VISTA WITH WINDOWS ME

I am having trouble with networking my windows vista ultimate with windows me
Old March 31st 07, 05:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

What's problem? This search result is about vista and w98, but it may help,

Networking between Vista and w98can access each others resources in both directions except the new Vista computer. I was able to get the Vista computer to connect to the Win98 shares by ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...71bbb4 f6e376

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Old April 2nd 07, 05:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Steve Winograd [MVP]

In article , aaron
wrote:
I am having trouble with networking my windows vista ultimate with windows me

Vista should be able to access shared folders belonging to Windows Me.
If that's what you're having trouble with, please post another news
group message with full details of the situation: how you've
configured each computer, how you're trying to access Me from Vista,
what happens when you do it, complete text of all error messages, etc.
I'm sure that someone can help.

Lots of people are having trouble accessing Vista's shared folders
from Me, and I don't know of a solution.

I've spoken with some networking people at Microsoft about this. As I
understand it, Microsoft doesn't support Vista sharing its folders
over a network with computers running Windows 95/98/Me. That
capability isn't part of Vista's design, they haven't tested it, and
there's no guarantee that it will work.

I've seen the following problems when trying to access Vista's shared
folders from 95/98/Me. I give a solution to #1 below. I'd love to
know if anyone has found a solution to #2 and #3:

1. Incompatible default network authentication protocols. Windows
95/98/Me uses LM and NTLM authentication. Vista uses NTLMv2
authentication. This causes a prompt for the IPC$ password on
95/98/Me when password protected sharing is enabled on Vista. There
is no valid response to the IPC$ prompt.

2. Incomplete enumeration of shares. 95/98/Me only sees some of
Vista's shared folders. The names of some shared folders are
truncated, making them inaccessible.

3. Instability. Accessing Vista's shared folders makes 95/98/Me hang
or crash.

If you want to try accessing Vista's shared folders from 95/98/Me, I
recommend taking these safety measures first: make a restore point on
Vista, and back up your important data on all computers.

Here's how to configure Vista to use LM and NTLM authentication to
allow access from 95/98/Me when password protected sharing is enabled.
I'd like to thank my fellow MVP Evan Pearce, who helped me understand
and test this:

1. Click the Start button, type "regedit" in the Start Search box, and
press Enter.

2. Click "Continue" in the User Account Control prompt.

3. Open this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

4. If they don't already exist, create DWORD values named
LmCompatibilityLevel and NoLmHash.

5. Set LmCompatibilityLevel to 1.

6. Set NoLmHash to 0.

7. Restart the Vista computer.

8. Go to Control Panel User Accounts, click "Change your password",
enter your current password in the boxes for "Current password", "New
password", and "Confirm new password", and click "Change password".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
Old April 2nd 07, 04:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Aaron

"aaron" wrote:

I am having trouble with networking my windows vista ultimate with windows me

I am just not able to network them together. I am running on a router but I
cannot access sharing and the windows ME name doesn't appear.