Old September 4th 07, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
***** charles[_2_]

Default Vista and W2K and NTFS?

Hi Ronnie and thanks for the feedback.
I did get into the documents folder for the one user that was on the system.
I got 19 files from the documents folder on F to copy to my C drive.
I tried to go into a subfolder under documents and I got a "My Music is
not accessable. Access is denied." and it had zero bytes in size when I did
a properties on it. Does this mean that the contents are lost if there was
anything in that subfolder? I tried taking ownership of lots of directories
and that didn't seem to help. What's my next step?

thanks,
charles.....

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote in message
Charles

This is normal. The old Documents and Settings folder has been retired and
that location is now called %systemroot%\Users.

The Documents and Settings folder you are seeing is a Junction whose sole
purpose is to redirect legacy programs to the new \Users folder. This is

why
you see the shortcut overlay on that folder. Junction points cannot be
opened and contain no data.

Here is a website that has a more detailed explanation of this as well as

list of all the Junctions with the old locations and the new locations

they
point to in Vista.

Svrops.com - Windows Vista Junction Points:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

"***** charles" wrote in message
et...
Hi all,

Can a Windows 2000 Pro with SP4 read an
NTFS file system that was created with Vista
Basic?

What can I do if W2K gives me the error
message

f:\documents and settings is not accessable.
Access is denied.
?

thanks,
charles....