Vista Loses Docs Bought Online, Cost Me $100's and Time!

Old April 6th 07, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BozOtt

Default Vista Loses Docs Bought Online, Cost Me $100's and Time!

I'm a long-time PC User and recently retired app support manager. A few
weeks back, I purchased a new laptop (specs below). Even though Vista was
available by then, I almost purchased a machine with XP Pro as Vista was
still pretty much a newborn o/s. Then I thought about my experiences with
moving to XP, which had been uniformly positive, both in my job and at home,
and I took the leap to Vista. Every day, I regret that decision more and
more and I sincerely wish I'd remained with XP. Vista is certainly pretty,
but it's costing me far too much to use and I can't trust it any more. Given
that it rarely trusts me when I ask it to do something, I desperately want to
toss it out of bed and look for a divorce.

I spend 10-12 hours a day conducting genealogical research online. In
most cases, this involves searching the holdings and data of paid
subscription sites for electronic versions of historical documents and
archival material I can refer to in my research. My time is valuable and the
searching, aside from being a tiring activity, costs money. Purchasing
copies of source documents if and when I discover any, costs substantially
more money. Yesterday, I did my research on my new laptop, locating (it was
- at first - a very productive day...) and purchasing a number of documents
I'd been searching for at length. When I find any of these, I usually also
save a text file with information on the source I used, for reference
purposes. Today, the only record I have of yesterday's work and the
documents that cost me well over $100 in all to purchase are my text files;
Vista is claiming complete ignorance (none of the files even show up in
Search results, even when searching on every last file modified over the last
24 hours!). The files themselves were from various sites, and were *.jpg,
*.djvu (DejaVu, a format used by archives), *.tif and *.pdf. In most cases,
at the time I saved them (all to the same "Family History" folder I created
one level under my "Documents" sub-folder), I got a warning message from
Windows, saying (something like) that "...for my own good, Windows (Vista)
would save the file to my Temporary Internet Files folder" (rather than to
the folder I specified) "...did I want to open that folder?" This was
annoying and alarming, but as I was getting numbed by the constant stream of
second-guessing messages from Vista, I wasn't overly surprised. The message
offered no alternatives, which was rather upsetting, and in most cases, I
said "Yes" to opening the folder (no idea why it asked me to do that and no
reason was given by Vista.

However, after the file save (or not) was complete, I repeated the save
process as a check. Very surprisingly, when I went to (re?)save (or not)
each file in its original destination folder (rather than in the Temporary
Internet folder), Windows (Vista) said it was already there (that is, in the
desired destination folder - in fact, in the save dialog, with "Folders"
opened, I could see its filename and icon there), and did I wish to overwrite
it? Today, despite having seen what appeared to be those files there,
correctly saved, yesterday, none remain and I have wasted my day and a good
chunk of money. Where have my files gone? They cost me, so this is no
simple matter What did Vista do with them? Is there some way to make this o/s
work responsibly? Today, I will have to repurchase - on my XP Pro desktop,
which I can trust - new files to replace the ones Vista lost. For now, I'm
staying clear of Vista except to play games - which is what it did to me.

I am the Administrator on my laptop, which has Windows Vista Home Premium
on HP Pavilion dv2000 (WEI Rating 3.0) w/AMD Turion 64, 2 GHz, 959 MB RAM;
security is Norton, pre-installed.
Old April 6th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Have you tried searching for the files by name?
I suspect when you find one, you will find the rest.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old April 7th 07, 04:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
BozOtt

[ "Have you tried searching for the files by name?"] Yes [including
Location = "Everywhere" and x'd "Include non-indexed..."], and did that many
steps before posting my message, but thanks for asking (no, really, thanks).
Replicated issue this morning and discovered two odd system behaviours were
(and remain) at fault.

1) Vista's Explorer Lies: Most troubling to me was that the Search
results reported by Vista, i.e. its version of Windows Explorer, are
untruthful and unreliable. I discovered after this morning's problem
replications and much manual browsing that the missing files I had purchased
and saved were indeed on the laptop, but in a "Virtualized" folder tree
branch under my user name (immediately copied them to a safer location). Why
Vista lies to me by not displaying any of these files when I do my
"Everywhere" searches is incomprehensible and certainly backs my perception
that it's an o/s designed for children to game on rather than for any serious
work.

2) MSIE 7 Second-Guesses Save Instructions: Root cause of my problem was
that MSIE will not let me save files I have purchased to my normal save
folders. NB: I earlier attributed this behaviour to Vista; however, in
replicating this morning, I observed that this side of my issue is more
correctly described as a problem of MSIE 7 operating under Vista (I also have
MSIE 7 on my XP Pro desktop, but it's never done anything so stupid in that
environment). When I go to save, MSIE ignores my save instructions, goes
ahead and saves the file elsewhere, and then displays the message: "Internet
Explorer | For your computer's security, this file was saved to the Temporary
Internet Files folder. | Do you want to open this folder?" *NB The
annoyances don't stop there. If "Yes" is selected, the folder that is
displayed does Not display the file just saved; you have to explore down the
folder tree and search manually for that! If I trust MSIE (perish the
thought!) and later look for the Temporary Internet Files with Vista
Explorer, I now expect it will lie to me and say there's no such thing. Of
course, if I set my MSIE for good security reasons to delete temporary files
after each session, all the files appropriated (GITMO'd) in this manner by
MSIE will be nuked before I ever have a chance to search for them and I will
be told they never existed. Excuse the venting, but I wasted a chunk of cash
thinking Vista would be at least as good as XP Pro. Is there any way this
horrible MSIE7/Vista behaviour can be turned off?
-----------

Old April 7th 07, 05:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Kerry Brown

Post the path to your "normal save folders".

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 8th 07, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Hugh Wyn Griffith

In article , BozOtt wrote:

When I go to save, MSIE ignores my save instructions, goes*
ahead and saves the file elsewhere, and then displays the message: "Internet*
Explorer | For your computer's security, this file was saved to the Temporary*
Internet Files folder

I've not run into this sort of behavior.

I have a folder called Internet Downloads off the root of my C:\ VISTA drive.
Anything I download from a website goes into that folder automatically, except
possible Picture which I rarely download but I think go automatically into My
Pictures.

Similarly Save As automatically opens to My Documents if I am saving a document
file.

I think one thing you have run into is that Windows (even before VISTA) used
"phantom folders" -- if I understand this it means on a multiuser system as I
have that what I see as saved in My Documents way up at the top of the tree is
in fact saved in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Hugh\My Documents (where Hugh is user )

I know a Windows guru who detests this and uses a File Manager that shows what
he calls "real locations". It odesn't bother me, although for ages I've used
PowerDesk / Explorer Plus as an alternative to Windows Explorer.

I'm sure others can help you sort this out.

Old May 11th 07, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DJ

Hey-I'm having the same problem. I save a web page to pdf format ad it puts
it into Temporary Internet Folder. I open that folder, and it isn't there,
and no file search seems to pick it up. Have you figured out anything yet?
DJ

Old May 11th 07, 10:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

NEVER save anything you want to keep in a folder with the "temporary"
or temp" or with the "*.tmp" suffix.
Doing so is asking for trouble since temporary is their nature and
many are cleaned automatically.