Consistent packet loss with Vista

Old April 20th 07, 11:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

Default Consistent packet loss with Vista

I was noticing odd disconnects running networked application on my laptop
since installing vista on it. After quite a bit of delving, what I'm seeing
is this.

I'm using ping as a way of checking for network connectiveity, it is a basic
but seemingly effective way of seeing how well I'm connected.

When I test my connection by pinging a known machine from vista I get a
pretty consistent 6-12% packet loss as reported by ping. It doesn't seem to
matter whether I use a wireless card or the builtin wired network card on the
laptop. Changing the cable doesn't change this result. Another machine on
the same cable gets 0% loss (it's running xp). Rebooting back to xp on the
original laptop gets 0% packet loss.

As far as I can tell, this is affecting two different network cards so I'm
hard pressed to think that it's a network card driver issue, but I've got no
clue how to pin this down. Right now my only solution is to switch back to
xp where this hardware suddenly works perfectly.

Any suggestions as to how I track this down?

BTW the machine is up to date as far as windowsupdate is concerned.

Thanks - Guy

Old April 21st 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Kerry Brown

Have you tested the router for Vista compatibility?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/usi...d/default.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932134/en-us

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 21st 07, 05:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

Well my home router fails the UPnP test - not too surprising it's not exactly
brand new. I'll have to test my work routerlater.

However the test result says that this shouldn't affect basic internet
connectivity whatever that means, I'm not really sure that a 10%packet loss
on a basically idle network counts as unaffected.

If this is a normal response to using Vista on current hardware I'm going to
be very disapointed since most of the time I have no control over that sort
of hardware and I didn't upgrade my OS to downgrade my connectivity like that.

Guy

Old April 21st 07, 07:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

OK so a bit of mucking around later, I've enabled UPnP on my router and the
router test tool claims that my connection now passes muster.

Not that this has made any difference, I still get 10% or so ping packet
loss if I use Vista and 0% if I use XP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks - Guy

Old April 21st 07, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Kerry Brown

You could try turning off Receive Window Autotuning.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934430

The article is about firewalls but the setting can cause problems if any
hardware on the network doesn't support it.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 21st 07, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

I'm afraid that that didn't do it either.

Not only that, but the command to re-enable the autotuning gives me this
error:

c:\ netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=enabled
The parameter is incorrect.

Apparently the msdn article is out of date, the correct command is:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Anyway, thanks for the help trying to work this one out, but still not there
yet.

Guy

Old April 22nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Kerry Brown

I can't think of anything else to try.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 23rd 07, 06:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

Anyone else got any ideas? Am I really the only person to see such
consistent packet loss under Vista? (OK, that's a rhetorical question,
obviously if lots of others were seeing this it'd have been fixed ages ago).

Anyway, is there any sort of logging or trace that anyone can think of that
might help me track this down? I'd hate to just do a re-install in an attempt
to get the OS to work correctly.

Guy

Old April 23rd 07, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Kerry Brown

"Guy" wrote in message
Anyone else got any ideas? Am I really the only person to see such
consistent packet loss under Vista? (OK, that's a rhetorical question,
obviously if lots of others were seeing this it'd have been fixed ages
ago).

Anyway, is there any sort of logging or trace that anyone can think of
that
might help me track this down? I'd hate to just do a re-install in an
attempt
to get the OS to work correctly.

What motherboard? Is the LAN card onboard? Is there a BIOS update available?
You pretty much eliminated everything except the computer.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Old April 23rd 07, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Guy

It's a Sony Vaio Sz160p so I'm guessing that it's some Sony motherboard.
This problem occurs with both the Intel PRO/wireless 3945ABG card and the
Marvell Yukon 88E8036 on board lan controller. I've not found any BIOS
updates for them yet. And again, XP works fine on this same hardware, I can
dual boot it and keep trying both. One works and the other doesn't.

I'll take another look for BIOS updates though, something might have shown
up, Sony don't make it particularly easy to find stuff in a timely manner to
be honest.

Guy