Old October 23rd 07, 07:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_7_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Well I just received another email from MS and they state that in
addition to "ntoskernel.exe," "ntfs.sys" is also affected; so Vivian at
MS had me run "chkdsk /f /r." I assume the '/r' part is an instruction
to repair the file system if any errors are found. chkdsk took about 1
1/2 hours to run and found no errors. Vivian; however did find a problem
in my BCD file. She said that "memtest.exe" was set to the wrong
partition; so she had me run:
"BCDEDIT /SET {memdiag} partion=c:" This completed successfully. I then
ran the Memory Diagnostic Tool and restarted the system. The Memory
Diagnostic Tool ran as expected and found no errors. Well at least I've
gotten this problem out of the way. I'm not entirely surprised by this
error, since I upgraded the hard drive on my Notebook to 160GB within
days of upgrading the Vista x64. I did this by using a commercially
available USB, Universal cloning kit; however instead of using the
cloning software supplied by the manufacturer, I used the Acronis
cloning software I downloaded from Seagate, who manufactured the drive.
I incorrecctly performed the last step of the cloning process, which was
to restart the Notebook with the cloned drive still attached. Instead I
removed the drive before restarting. When I did, the original drive
would not restart and I had to use the install disk to repair the drive,
after which Vista x64 started normally. The same thing also occurred on
the cloned drive when I replaced the original drive with it. Here's the
reason this happened. The instructions for the cloning software supplied
by the cloning kit manufacturer warned profusely about NOT leaving the
cloned drive connected durring restart; so I removed the cloned drive
prior to restart. Much to my chagrin, the Seagate Acronis cloning
software instructed leaving the cloned drive connected durring restart.
I didn't bother to read that far until I had the restart problem. I
assumed the cloning process would be universal, so I assumed I would
follow the same steps for the other application. I guess I learned "my
lesson!"

Unfortunatey the SD Card issue still persists. Somehow Vivian at MS was
able to determine that I had not disabled the ATI Display Driver durring
Device Clean Boot Mode. I didn't disable this, because I thought the
display would stop working. She asked me to make sure that the device
uninstalled completely before testing the SD Card in this mode and if it
didn't to make sure I installed the latest driver. She provided me with
a link to an ATI driver on Acer's website, unfortunately it was for
Vista NOT Vista x64. I had already encountered this problem when I
originally started searching for x64 drivers and located the most
up-to-date driver on ATI's website. BTW, it's running beautifully. I was
able to get the Display Driver, The South Bridge Drivers and the
Catalyst Control Panel for the "ATI Radeon 1100 card." Those of us with
Aspire 5100 Notebooks have been waiting with baited breath for these to
be released. Anyway they're there and they're working perfectly. I do
recommend installing these in order though; starting with the Display
Driver, then the South Bridge Drivers, then the Catalyst Control Panel.

Anyway, this time I disabled the ATI Display Driver along with
everything else that could be disabled, without shutting down the
system. The display continued to work in VGA mode. Then I inserted the
SD Card again. It Blue Screened immediately, so now I have to wait for
MS's next email to troubleshoot further.

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.
It keeps me "on the jazz!"