All executibles in vista open with media center

Old October 24th 06, 12:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
C2Ranches

Default All executibles in vista open with media center

Got one here for everyone to puzzle on. All my executable files are
associated with Windows Media center. And I mean all. I try to personalize my
settings, windows media center opens, I try to go to windows updates and
recieve this prompt: "A website wants to open web content using this program
on you computer. Media Center Allow or do not allow. " I cannot unistall
anything since an uninstall is an exe windows media center opens.

The only thing that I can do is Internet Explorere. Everything else trys to
open in media center. I can get to the control panel and file associations
there, and try to make file types open with a certian program, but all the
..bat, .com, dll, ect say unknown program and I have no idea what program to
associate them too. And exe is not even listed. I have looked at another
test vista machine and the file associations are also unknown. There is no
"open with" when
right clicking on any of the exe files either.

The things I am able to do include: Internet Explore, I can open the control
panel but applications associated with the control panel will not run, and it
seems that MSI files will still run but not the program once installed.

Version is RC2 5744. I have only Vista install, virus scan, and adobe. Had
not gotten to Office yet. I have tried safemode to do a restore, but
everything including restore opens in media center. I have also tried a
repair.

I sure am in a pickle and ideas? I am not against starting from scratch, but
would like to know if there is a way aroung that. If I a knowledgeable tech
can do it and not know how it happened or how to fix it, what is going to
happen when Vista is rolled out the users? I do not even know how the
association got
changed but believe it was when I was installing Adobe 7.0.8 which did
install and does run.

Old October 24th 06, 02:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
SESSION_EVENT

I installed the Office 2007 Beta on RC2 and all the Control Panel icons
disappeared and none of the system's wizards and property sheets worked.

Old October 24th 06, 03:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
PaulB

Hi,
Office 2007 Beta doesn't work well with VISTA until you download the
Technical refresh.
--
Paul

Old October 25th 06, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
sternobread

I did the exact same thing not 20 minutes ago, though mine was while
attempting to install Adobe Acrobat Standard 6.0, on Vista Beta RC 1. All
..exe files are now associated with Internet Explorer. I've found registry
fixes for XP, but obviously things are a little different in Vista. I REALLY
don't want to wipe this thing.... If nothing else, maybe someone else can
have a peek in their registry to figure out how things should look??? I can't
even open regedit (it's an exe), but could patch the registry if I knew what
the values should be.