Deleting a shortcut to a program that no longer exists

Old April 27th 07, 10:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Stevo

Default Deleting a shortcut to a program that no longer exists

I installed a game it placed shotcut icon on desktop.
Game didnt install properly so uninstalled.

Now it want let me delete the shortcut as it says that it cant find the
program.

How do I delete this pesky shortcut?
There is no security info under that tab under properties it seems there is
no way to delete this shotcut file, this is rediculas!!

Can anyone help please thanks steve.
Old April 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Malke

Stevo wrote:
I installed a game it placed shotcut icon on desktop.
Game didnt install properly so uninstalled.

Now it want let me delete the shortcut as it says that it cant find the
program.

How do I delete this pesky shortcut?
There is no security info under that tab under properties it seems there is
no way to delete this shotcut file, this is rediculas!!

Can anyone help please thanks steve.

How are you trying to delete the shortcut? It sounds like you're
left-clicking on it and perhaps have your mouse set to single-click,
therefore the game is trying to run. Try right-clicking and then choose
"Delete".

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Old April 29th 07, 05:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
brink

I agree with Malke, but also try right clicking your desktop & click
REFRESH. Sometimes Vista just doesn't refresh that quickly & the Icon
shortcut is still visible even though it's not really there. Go figure.

Shawn

--
brink

Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 (PC4200) RAM
Old December 16th 07, 01:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
DWHgreen

I also have this problem. I downloaded a program for a virtual site and
created a shortcut. I have thoroughly uninstalled the program files. Now when
I try to delete or remove the shortcut icon from my desktop either by
dragging it to recycle bin or by right clicking on it and selecting delete
from the drop-down menu, I get a message box telling me the shortcut icon
cannot be deleted because the file does not exist. I just want to get this
icon off my desktop. Does someone have the solution?
--
DWHgreen

Old September 1st 08, 07:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
Bogdan Florian

Try to open the shortcut... Windows will warning you that the shortcut link
is invalid and will ask you if you want to delete that shortcut.
Cheers...

Old December 1st 09, 08:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
MEFF14

None of this information helps at all !!!!! I have the same problem as
DWHgreen Please Help!! and sorry to bring up a old post but this has all
the information that dose not work and the same problems i have

--
MEFF14

Old December 1st 09, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
John John - MVP

We've no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. You are replying
to and old thread that no longer exists on the newserver,

John

Old December 1st 09, 09:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
MEFF14

heres the thing i keep geting

|Filename: 341321.jpg |
|Download: http://www.vistax64.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17515|