Old November 4th 07, 01:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_10_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Barb Bowman;503159 Wrote:
do you know what the update was? did you try going into device
manager and doing a driver rollback? (and or a system restore?)

this is extremely painful to read and has to be much worse for you,
and I admire you patience.

On Sat, 3 Nov 2007 19:26:32 -0500, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Hum...

The system only works temporarily with no updates loaded. I forget
which application downloaded and installed an upgrade, but it wasn't a
Windows Update and it wasn't driver related. I think it was one of my
Firefox add-ons. Why one of these would require a restart I can't
explain; but I was prompted for a system restart afterward and did so.
That's when my system Blue Screened. I don't believe the application
upgrade is responsible, since the problem persists in clean boot mode.

A driver rollback is a non-starter. I'm using the only Vista x64
drivers available and I've done many system restores. Something else
appears to be going on. My theory at this point is that there is some
instability in "ntfs.sys" that my driver somehow manages to trigger and
this in turn causes a cascade effect, that eventually causes
"ntoskernel.exe" to fail.

The only good thing I think that can come out of receiving a free
Retail version, as the MS engineer suggested is that there may be some
system file differences between the retail and the OEM versions. If
this is so, performing an inplace-upgrade with the retail version may
solve the problem, then again maybe not.

I suspect in the end MS will just need to add or modify a couple lines
of code in ntfs.sys to solve the problem.

-John

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.