Old November 8th 07, 04:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
coljohnhannibalsmith[_15_]

Default SD (Secure Digital) Causes Blue Screen in Vista x64

Barb Bowman;507241 Wrote:
You would have to remap in BIOS. Acer is pretty much ignoring any
requests for fixes for x64 compatibility fixes, but if you find
after flashing the new BIOS there is no support, you should still
contact them and add another voice/complaint.

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 03:21:44 -0600, coljohnhannibalsmith
wrote:

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

Ah yes the BIOS,

The BIOS has two versions a DOS version and a Windows version. The
README file states that you can launch each version in its appropriate
environment. When I tried to launch the Windows version, I got an "Error
1275" stating:

"The Driver could not be loaded."

The text of the error message said to "check administrator privileges."
Well I'm the administrator and I have User Account Control turned off
and Data Execution Prevention in the default setting, which is to
monitor Windows Services only NOT Programs; so this certainly isn't the
cause.

I then launched a DOS window and attempted to run both the Windows and
the DOS versions of the installer. I received error messages both times.
I believe when I tried to run the DOS version, I simply got a gereric
error message stating an incompatibility issue. If my memory serves me
correctly, when I tried to run the Windows version from the DOS window,
I got an error message stating that the application is not compatible
with 64 bit OSs. This makes sense, since Acer is trying their best, NOT
to offer any x64 support. What I'm going to try next is to reinstall my
old 100GB drive with Vista x32 on it and attempt to load the new BIOS
from there. My last BIOS flash was done from XP x32.

BTW, I checked Device Manager and it appears there's an option to
modify resources; but it's greyed-out and it also appears greyed-out for
other unrelated components in DM as well. I wonder what bedeviled MS to
disable this feature and if there's any way to turn it back on? What
knuckleheads! When you deliver an unfinished product to the public, you
"DON'T" disable TS features.

Oh, and Emma from MS wrote back again, she said she wanted me to send
her the crash data and data from MSIFNO32, from after I performed the
Clean Install, which makes sense; but then, she said we would "update
the drivers one by one." This begs the questions: "Why would we need to
update any drivers at all, especially more than one, since I'm getting
BSODs immediately after install, before loading the SD Card Drivers;
which means the only drivers being loaded are those supplied by the OS
itself and when I get the SD Card BSODs, the only drivers loaded are
those for the Memory Card Reader Plus the OS and I have the latest
Memory Card Reader Drivers and she already knows that.

I haven't told her I've TS'd the problem to the upper 2GB of ram yet;
but I'm wondering if she'd even understand if I did.

Weeeee...........arty:

--
coljohnhannibalsmith

I love it when a plan comes together.