Bye Bye Vista - Hello SUSE!

Old May 30th 07, 09:55 PM posted to alt.2600,alt.hackers.malicious,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.usenet.kooks
Peter J Ross

Default Bye Bye Vista - Hello SUSE!

In alt.usenet.kooks on Tue, 29 May 2007 23:53:55 +0100, Steve Williams
wrote:

On Monday 28 May 2007 23:31, Peter J Ross posted:

In alt.usenet.kooks on Mon, 28 May 2007 23:14:09 +0100, Steve
Williams wrote:

On Monday 28 May 2007 21:11, Peter J Ross posted:

In alt.usenet.kooks on Mon, 28 May 2007 19:45:34 +0100, Steve
Williams wrote:

I like the way Kate changes colour for HTML tags,

Just like vim!

and also helps point out obvious mistakes where you have opened {
but not closed them.

Just like vim!

Very helpful editor, indeed.

Just like vim!

I thought vim was a console editor.

http://supportweb.cs.bham.ac.uk/docs/tutorials/docsystem/build/tutorials/gvim/gvim.html

"VIM can operate in a text based environment but there is a version
known as gVim which operates in a GUI environment."

I'm a KDE user (dont swear at me please)

I'm a KDE user too, and gvim looks as good in KDE as the other GTK
apps I use.

I must be thinking of vi and that was a complete nightmare to use.

I certainly prefer VI iMproved to VI or any other editor.

I could never get on with it, so many keystrokes just to change a
simple line of text. I used to hate editing things through the
console, so I used to have to make sure I never broke my SMB server,
and shared / as 'admin' like Windows shares C:\WINNT as 'ADMIN$' so
that I could edit files.

Aaaaaargh! (No other comment.)

I find nano usable!

nano suits me for console editing.

I don't mind nano, but it's not what I'm used to and it doesn't have
many kewl capabilities.

It's one that I can actually use, so I'm quite fond of it (but prefer
to edit under X of course. Copy and paste is very valuable to me!

I mostly use X, so I just drag the mouse to copy, and middle-click to
paste.

I don't understand why M$ made copying and pasting so much more
complicated.

Of course, in vim I tend to use "y" and "p" a lot, because it's even
easier.

--
PJR :-)
FNVWE : DHoT : HoT 2006-01

Old May 31st 07, 02:44 PM posted to alt.2600,alt.hackers.malicious,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.usenet.kooks
§ñühw¤£f

Lionel pinched out a steaming pile
:

On 30 May 2007 15:05:33 GMT, §ñühw¤£f
boggled at how lame the Kooks are these days, then wrote:

PerfectReign pinched out a steaming pile
:

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:48:33 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:

PerfectReign pinched out a steaming

pile
:

On Sun, 27 May 2007 15:20:24 +0000, §ñühw€£f wrote:

JM pinched out a steaming pile off7qdnV-
:

On Sat, 26 May 2007 09:31:51 -0700, Feliks Dzerzhinsky wrote:

§ñühw¤£f wrote:

The silence is deafening!!!!111!!!!

Real men use vi...

Only until they discover emacs. ;-)

Only on days work is not required. ;p

then they use nedit...

*REAL* h4xx0rz use Kate.

/me ducks

Real real ha0rs write their own editor in assembly...

Using Kate to write the editor?

No7 3ven! Tehy hace to use a chip and a battery and code it to an
eeprom!!!1111!!!!

Pfft. Lamers.

Editors for /real/ h4x0rs:

MS-DOS/'Doze:
copy con myfile.txt stuff ^Z

Unix:
cat myfile.txt DONE stuff DONE

Assembler (generic):

mov ix, 0
LOOP1: call GETKEY
mov [_BUFFER + ix], al
inc ix
cmp ax, _EOFCHAR
jnz LOOP1

Hey! I coppied that stuff into a dos box and it b0r|3d my puter...

&Q5&Q6 actually slowed things down