Denied permission to access folders

Old June 1st 07, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Steve C-R

Default Denied permission to access folders

Doing what was recommended by Jimmy Brush, was long winded and would of been
easier going into the permissions section for the folder, as it happens,
after doing what was recomended, Windows Mail no longer had permission to
write to the Windows Mail folder in my users account, so all had to be reset.

"Jesper" wrote:

It may not. Can you give us more detail on the problem? What error messages
do you see? What did you do to the folders to fix the problem? Which e-mail
program are you using?
---

"Steve C-R" wrote:

Hi, I had the exact same problem after importing my files and settings from
an old XP install, now, I find after resetting permissions, I can no longer
download emails, I am assuming this is an off-shoot of this, as it happened
right at the same time as sorting permissions.

Thanks.

0x80070005 report from windows mail

Old June 1st 07, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Jimmy Brush

What folder did you apply the permission changes to?

- JB

Old August 28th 07, 10:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Taxee

I am having a similar problem to the OP but with one difference.

I am trying to run an exe file from a CD. I tried running it from the run
window but receive the message "you don't have permission to open this file.
Contact the file owner or administrator to obtain permission".

I have full admin rights and the CD is a standard commercial program (i.e. I
purchased it).

I tried using explorer and am unable to even right click on the file (i.e. I
right click on it but the menu does not appear). I am able to right click on
other files (non-apps) but not on the exe file.

I tried the commands in your post but:

1. There was no choice to "run as administrator" when right-clicking on the
box. However, the title on the cmd box did indicate "Administrator c:\...

2. I could not get the drive to change to d:\setup (the directory the file
is in) but assume this is because the CD is read only.

Any suggestions as why Vista won't let me run the file?

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

Hello,

This is a common problem with files that you created from another
installation of Windows.

This has to do with the security settings that Windows XP applied to
these files. Since they were created from your user account in XP,
they do not apply to your user account in Vista, and so you are denied
access in some circumstances.

To fix this, you can follow these steps:

- Click Start
- Type: cmd
- Right-click cmd when it appears
- Click Run As Administrator
- Change location to the folder you need access to (e.g. cd e:\folder)
- Type: takeown /F . /R /A /D Y NUL
- Type: icacls . /grant USEROI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
(Where USER is your username - you will only have access from your
XP and Vista machine in this case)
(Or, replace USER with Users if you want anyone [on any computer
your hard drive is plugged into] to have full access to these files)

- JB

On Thu, 31 May 2007 22:17:31 +1200, "Jack K" wrote:

I recently purchased a new external hard drive and I set about transferring
files from my old XP computer to my new hard drive that I then connected to
my Sony Vaio laptop. Most files on the new hard drive are accessible on my
Vista laptop, but a large group (100 Gig) of video editing folders and files
are not accessible. I get these messages:

"You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click "continue"
to gain access."

Then "You have been denied permission to access this folder - To gain access
you will need to use the security tab."

I have tried to follow the instructions on the help file: "Take ownership of
a file or folder", but although I have at least managed to get the video
files visible, Windows Media Player cannot play them. I can't do anything
with these files, not even delete them or copy them!!

Can anyone give me some advice please, this unexpected problem is driving me
nuts!

Thanks, Jim

Old August 29th 07, 03:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
pls

Jimmy Brush;329363 Wrote:
[...]

Working on the same problem but not sure what the purpose of the smiley
face is? Without it, both my user name and USERS are rejected as
invalid.

--
pls
Old September 8th 07, 08:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Zoonotics

I can't get onto my E:\ hard drive with the commands you gave I am familiar
with the old DOS commands. When I type cd e:\backup or cd e:\ or cd e:, the
command goes back to c:\, even when I cd.. back from windows directory.

Old September 12th 07, 03:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Seth

"Zoonotics" wrote in message
I can't get onto my E:\ hard drive with the commands you gave I am familiar
with the old DOS commands. When I type cd e:\backup or cd e:\ or cd e:,
the
command goes back to c:\, even when I cd.. back from windows directory.

That's because none of the commands you typed tell the machine to go to
drive E:, just to change the current directory on drive E:.

Try simply...
E: [Enter]
....to change your current drive to E: Then you can "cd" around the E: drive
all you want.

Old September 12th 07, 12:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
Mark Bourne

pls wrote:
Jimmy Brush;329363 Wrote:
[...]

Are you referring to a smiley after "USER" in this line?:
- Type: icacls . /grant USEROI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q

That's whatever you're using to read the message substituting graphics
for text smilies. It should be ""USER : ( O I )..." but without the
spaces - I've inserted them to stop your reader recognising a smiley!
It's probably replacing the colon-open parenthesis with a sad face

It can be quite amusing looking at some online archives where complex
command lines come up full of smilies... unless of course you're the one
trying to use the command! ;o)
Old March 9th 08, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
remon

Just wanted to drop by to say that the instructions and commands worked
beautifully.

I restored the primary [C:] hard drive from an old computer running
Windows XP to a new one as a secondary/additional hard drive on Windows
Vista, and got a "You have been denied permission to access this folder"
message.

Found this page via Google. Thank you, *Jimmy Brush*.

Code:
--------------------

- Click *Start*
- Type: cmd
- Right-click cmd when it appears and select *Run As
Administrator*.
- Change location to the folder you need access to (e.g. cd
e:\folder).
- Type: takeown /F . /R /A /D Y NUL
- Press the Enter key and wait for the command to complete.
- Type: icacls . /grant UsersOI)(CI)(F) /L /T /Q
- Press the Enter key.
--------------------
Should come in handy for future visitors.

--
remon
Old April 30th 08, 04:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
btgavin[_2_]

Jimmy,
Are there any other switches that need to be added for Vista? I made the
mistake of loading AOL software and now I can't delete the files, even after
using the fix you provided.
Thanks
Brian

Old April 30th 08, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.security
btgavin[_2_]

Under file properties there is a "special permissions," in addition to the
usual "read," "write," etc. Is there another parameter that I can add to the
command string to unlock the special permissions?