Problem with my microphone

Old May 31st 07, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pierre Brunetti

Default Problem with my microphone

Hello,

I'm french, but i'm using Vista Business edition in english. I wanted to
try the vista speech recognition. So I installed my webcam, because
there's a microphone built into it, and I started the tutorial. It
worked really well. Then I tried the training, and it worked well too.
So I decided to start the "real" speech recognition, but I had to
configure my microphone first.
And here is my problem : I'm saying that phrase, "Peter dictates to his
computer. etc etc" , and after 30 secondes, I can click on "Next", and
the program says that the computer didn't hear anything.
However, I completed the tutorial, and the training, it means that my
microphone is working !

Sometimes, the program says that it didn't hear my very clearly. So the
configuration is complete, and when I click on "start speech
recognition", I get an error on my audio device.

Thanks for your help.

--
Pierre Brunetti

Old May 31st 07, 11:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Pierre,

Try this troubleshooting guide:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...56f7d1033.mspx

Let us know whether the guide does any good.
--
freddy

Old June 1st 07, 12:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pierre Brunetti

Cal Bear '66 a écrit :
Specifically what "error"?

I'm sorry but I can't remember, and for now I can't get the same message
(the message that said that windows didn't hear me clearly). All I get
is "the computer didn't hear anything". The error was a kind of "no
microphone device", or something like that.
I don't understand why the tutorial, the sound recorder, and the
training are working, and why the speech recognition can't configure my
microphone.

I'm trying to get the same error, in order to let you know specifically
what it is.

Thanks,
--
Pierre Brunetti
Old June 1st 07, 12:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pierre Brunetti

freddy a écrit :
Pierre,

Try this troubleshooting guide:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...56f7d1033.mspx

Let us know whether the guide does any good.

Thank you for your response,

I tried different positions for the microphone, and the distance to my
mouth seems to work well in the tutorial and the sound recorder.

My microphone is not muted, since there is no "mute" button on my webcam.

The microphone connections are OK.

My microphone is selected as the Default microphone/input audio device
for the speech recognition.

And the last thing : when I put increase the input level of my
microphone (let's say 70), and I start the configuration, then the input
level comes back to 30. I think that the program is configurating
automatically the input level of my microphone, and I don't think that
the problem comes from this.

So everything seems allright, and I can't see where the problem is.

Thanks,
--
Pierre Brunetti
Old June 1st 07, 12:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

What is your audio adapter? (Control Panel Device Manager, expand Sound,
video and game controllers.) Is there a red X on your Speaker icon in the
Notification Area of the Taskbar? Have you right clicked on the Speaker icon,
selected Recording Devices, make sure the input you use for your mic is set as
Default, and used the Properties button to set it up?

Old June 1st 07, 12:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pierre Brunetti

Cal Bear '66 a écrit :
What is your audio adapter? (Control Panel Device Manager, expand Sound,
video and game controllers.) Is there a red X on your Speaker icon in the
Notification Area of the Taskbar? Have you right clicked on the Speaker icon,
selected Recording Devices, make sure the input you use for your mic is set as
Default, and used the Properties button to set it up?

There's no red cross on sound devices (and I've no red crosses on other
devices), and my microphone is the default input audio device. I tried
to update the driver, to uninstall and reinstall it, and there is still
the same problem : the tutorial is working really well, but I can't
configure my microphone for the speech recognition ("The computer didn't
hear anything").

thanks for your response,

--
Pierre Brunetti
Old June 1st 07, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

One more thing... what webcam do you have? I have a Logitech and it also comes
with a microphone and speaker configuration in its application. While you are
using the microphone, you can click on the Speaker icon in the Notification
Area, click on the Mixer icon at the bottom and there will be a slider and a
mute button for the mic.

Old June 1st 07, 12:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Pierre Brunetti

Cal Bear '66 a écrit :
One more thing... what webcam do you have? I have a Logitech and it also comes
with a microphone and speaker configuration in its application. While you are
using the microphone, you can click on the Speaker icon in the Notification
Area, click on the Mixer icon at the bottom and there will be a slider and a
mute button for the mic.

I also have a Logitech webcam (the messenger one, I think), but I didn't
install the application from logitech because I caused me problems on
windows XP. So I just installed the drivers for the webcam and the mic
from the internet, and it seems to work very well.

Do you think I should install the application from Logitech ?

Thanks for your response,

--
Pierre Brunetti
Old June 1st 07, 12:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

I have not had any problems at all with the Vista drivers (Quick Cam Pro 5000).
In fact I think they are much improved over the XP drivers and applications. I
did not install the Desktop Messenger application.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/su...oads/&cl=us,en
(you may want the French Version however)