Old January 19th 08, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper [MVP]

Default Anyone trying 8GB of memory on Vista 64?

At the moment, the big "thud" in memory usage is games. Few games can take
advantage of more than 4gb of memory and some actually quit working if there
is more than 4gb of memory available to them. So it may not benefit you to
add more memory now and you might even see things that are working ... quit
working.

"Noel" wrote in message

I am putting together a new build and since PC-6400 DDR2 is sooo cheap I
thought I might consider 8GB on an X38 board.

I already have 2x2GB dimms, and was guessing if I went to 8GB it might
be nice to have 4 identical DIMMS, which are still available (ie,
another 2x2gb of the pair I have now).

Anyone have wisdom about this? My main uses NOW are MS Flight
Simulator, Gigastudio, and both of those benefit from at least 3GB,
beyond that I don't know. I don't forsee video editing . . .

Thanks for your replies,

Noel

--
Noel