Old January 28th 08, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
dlsayremn

Default Driver Download for Intel 82945G Chipset Family - Problems

Richard, Dwarf, Colin, Curious.
Thanks for help. Drivers are installed and working.

1. Downloaded and saved file WinVista 1573.exe from MS
2. Restarted in Safe Mode.
3. Ran file and installed drivers.
4. Right clicked Desktop and clicked Personalize in popup menu. Then selected
Display Settings.
5. Resolution was at 1440x900. In Advanced Settings, List All Modes,
1440x900,
32-bit, @60 HZ was selected. My monitor only supports
1440x900,32-bit,@78 HZ.
6. Changed to Resolution to 1024x768 and selected 1024x768,32-bit, 60 HZ.
Which
was my original setting.
8. Restarted and everything works fine.

Don't know why Resolution and Mode was changed.
If I remember correctly the Update just download and install without an
option to save and install later. Hopefully, noone else wiil have use their
Recovery Discs and spend 6 hours runnig Repair Startup Files.

Lesson learned: Do Updates in Safe Mode with Internet Connection and check
Display Settinge after Video Driver installs.

Again thanks. DLS

"dlsayremn" wrote:

Not sure if this should be posted here or Windows Update.

Compaq Presario SR2180Nx
Vista Home Premium
Intel Pentium D CPU (Dual Core)
RAM 3062 MB
Monitor X2gen MW19R (Wide Screen 1024 x 768 @ 59 Gz)

Received notice of driver update for 82945G chipset ver. 7.14.10.1364 today.
It is an optional download. Checked and clicked install. When the computer
restarted after the signon screen I got a black screen with notice signal out
of range. User Manual for monitor says this indicates computer video signal
exceeds frequency range of monitor.
Had to shut down computer so could restart in safemode. Then had to use
Restore to revert to previous drivers. Also, uninstalled update.

Not sure what I am doing. Can I download and install this driver using
Safemode with internet connection. Would I be able to change output frequency
and how would I do it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.