Old January 29th 08, 10:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
watsonjoshd[_5_]

Default Windows media player stopped working

SpecBus: I have not had any problems since my "fix." After being tipped
off to the NVappfilter.dll issue, I uninstalled all of my Nvidia
drivers, restarted, went to check and see if that .dll is still there
(it is located at C:\Windows\System32\NVappfilter.dll) If it's still
there, delete it and restart again. Once you are rid of the
NVappfilter.dll, install the latest NForce driver pack for your OS from
Nvidia.com. If uninstalling these drivers now prohibits you from using
the Internet, use your MoBo disk to install at least your Ethernet
drivers, or see if the Vista drivers work for your Ethernet, so you can
at least get online. Now, to make sure you don't reinstall that .dll and
be returned to square one, DO NOT install the Nvidia network manager,
which you will be prompted to do during the NForce Driver install setup.
If you successfully get all your drivers up to date, and avoid
installing the Nvidia network manager, and thus NVappfilter.dll, you
should be as problem free as I am. As far as COM Surrogate goes, I can't
say. But, this fixed a couple of other problems that I was diagnosing
separately, so it very well may do the same for you. Good Luck.

--
watsonjoshd