Old November 28th 06, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Robert Moir

Default computer hardware and network setup

wrote:
With vista, if I a to have a home network wiht three computers, file
charing and internet sharing, which setup would you recomend based on
the hardware styles:

a) an older desktop, 900mhz amd athlon with less than 512mb of RAM as
the main "hub" of the network, with 2 laptops that BLOW IT AWAY in
everything (memory, speed, size), but still have the desktop as the
main "family computer or

b) a top of the line AMD 64x2, with 2GB of RAM as the main "hub" of
the network, (famliy computer again), with the older desktp and a
poweful laptop (1.8GHZ turion 64 with 1GB of ram) sharing files and
folders THROUGH the powerful one.

By hub, I assume you know what I mean (its a very general term Im
trying ot use here)... I'm trying to say that it is the only one that
will be WIRED to the network, and it is the one in the office of the
house.

Option "b)" Definately.

As an aside, right now I'd buy Intel's Core2Duo rather than Athlon, as the
Core2 is on top right now in terms of just about any measure that has any
bearing to real world use. If you wait for the new AMD 4x4 range to come out
then I might revise my opinion when I see that.