Viewing actual picture in folder

« - | - »

Old June 16th 07, 04:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
jasonwagers

Default Viewing actual picture in folder

Ok, this may be a simple answer but I'm unable to figure it out. Inside my
picture folder I have hundreds of pictures in there. In the default settings
I was able to view the actual picture in the folder when the views was set to
medium, large and extra large. I installed Nero 7 and choose setup to
associate with all photos, well this change all my folers and picture to
there Nero view (So every photo has the same standard picture on it). I have
to click on the photo to view the photo now. I would like to go back to
being able to view the actual picture inside the folder. There is also a
"Open/Edit" with button with a drop down in the menu bar. I can select a
different program to open my photos with but it does the same thing, just
change all my photos to there default picture (if I select paint for my
default, all the picture have paintbrushes on them)

Can someone tell me how to get my standard views back for my pictures?
Thank you
--
Jason Wagers
Old June 16th 07, 05:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:24:00 -0700, jasonwagers
wrote:

[...]

NEVER let any application take over file associations. Better behaved
applications ask if they can before they do it, some don't. :-(

To fix things, go to Control Panel, Default Programs, then pick
Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program.

Important... wait! It can take a minute or longer to general the list
which will be in alphabetic format.

Scroll down the list to find a common image type like .jpg. Look in
the current default column, if it is anything BUT Windows Photo
Gallery you need to change it back to that.

Here's how:

Highlight the line, then click near the top of the window on the
button that says change program. Photo Gallery should be one of your
choices. Click on it. If successful, Photo Gallery again will open
..jpg files. You can also confirm by looking in Windows Explorer where
you should only see the default Photo Gallery icon if Explorer is set
to show details. This icon is a pale blue landscape.

Now sadly you need to repeat these steps for all the file types that
you want Photo Gallery to open.

A faster option would be to roll back to some restore point before you
installed Nero, but then you'd have to reinstall it again and it is a
pain being a such a large complex program. If you go this way be sure
when you reinstall you watch for and don't allow Nero to re-associate
any files types, it doesn't need to do that to run perfectly. You may
be able to undo the associations from within Nero which would be
faster.

Old June 16th 07, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
jasonwagers

Thank you Adam, but that didn't help me. It just changed all the pictures to
the Windows photo gallery icon. I want to change all the pictures to the
actual picture. Do you know how to do that? Does anyone know how to change
this back?
--
Jason Wagers

Old June 16th 07, 08:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:11:01 -0700, jasonwagers
wrote:

Thank you Adam, but that didn't help me. It just changed all the pictures to
the Windows photo gallery icon. I want to change all the pictures to the
actual picture. Do you know how to do that? Does anyone know how to change
this back?

You STILL have to change the view option in Windows Explorer to one of
the icon choices. Very large, large, Medium, etc..

Microsoft REALLY messed up in picking the word "icon" since so many
seem confused that Microsoft's use of it really means thumbnail in
this context, ie, a smaller picture of common graphic files.

To further confuse people a actual icon, like what you're seeing now
appears in Detail view. This IS suppose to denote what application is
set to open the file type while at the same time giving more textural
information about your files.

This can get a little confusing since it is also possible to override
the display of any thumbnails if you set a flag in Windows Explorer.
If that is set, no matter what you do, you won't see your thumbnails.

Lets walk through slowly...

1. Open Windows Explorer. Notice there are two rows of choices at the
very top of the window.

2. Click on View in the top row, be SURE, either large, medium or
small icons is checked.

3. On the SECOND row, click Organize and be sure under Layout that
a check is in front of Menu Bar and that you also check Detail
Pane.

4. On the SECOND row, click on View, confirm you have one of the
icon choices selected.

If you still have Photo Gallery associated to be your viewer then
you should see your thumbnails. If you still don't then you really
messed something up or your trying to view thumbnails that aren't
supported. For example for some crazy reason Vista doesn't show all
the file types that XP used to by default. Since one of the most
common file type is .jpg, be sure you have a few of those in the
folder for testing purposes.

If things aren't working yet. Click on Tools, then Folder options.
Change to the View tab. Under Files and Folders be absolutely sure
than the first option "always show icons, never thumbnails" is NOT
checked.

Old June 17th 07, 06:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
jasonwagers

Adam, That was it! 1 click with in the tool, folder, view menu and it
worked. I knew it was something simply, thank you so much for helping me
along with this.
--
Jason Wagers

Old June 17th 07, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:28:00 -0700, jasonwagers
wrote:

Adam, That was it! 1 click with in the tool, folder, view menu and it
worked. I knew it was something simply, thank you so much for helping me
along with this.

Glad it worked for you.

« - | - »