Frequently unable to get an IP via DHCP with Vista

Old July 1st 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
AC [MVP MOSS]

Default Frequently unable to get an IP via DHCP with Vista

My Vista Ultimate laptop is unable to get an IP via DHCP frequently... both
with my home router and when on the road in hotels, coffee shops, etc. I am
certain it's not the router for multiple reasons. My router issues IPs via
DHCP to multiple clients (Windows 2003, Windows XPPro, Windows XP MCE,
Windows 2000, Sony PSP, phones, Tivos... you name it) both physical or
virtualized clients. The ~only~ one that has an issue is my Vista laptop. I
have the same problem in MANY hotels, coffee shops, etc.

I'm also fairly certain that it isn't hardware related. I ran WindowsXP on
the same laptop (Dell Latitude D820) with no problems for months before
switching to Vista. I can switch over to a virtual machine on the same laptop
running Windows 2003 and it has no problems in obtaining an IP (at home,
hotels, coffee shops). If I ever enter a static IP, it works instantly
(hotel, home, coffee shop).. problem is most places won't do this for you...
not to mention it's completely necessary.

When I run a IPCONFIG /RENEW (or release followed by renew), here's what I
get: "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection
: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out."

I'm lost. I'm running OneCare and have completely shut down the firewall...
but I'm lost... any ideas?

--
-AC [MVP MCMS]
http://www.andrewconnell.com

Old July 1st 07, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
...winston

AC,
Have you tried this ?

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

...winston

:
[...]
: --
Old July 1st 07, 07:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
...winston

Whoops forgot the other link(compliments of PChuck)
Scroll down and read the section under Windows XP and Vista on the lan together
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/search/label/Setup

...winston

Old July 1st 07, 01:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

This post may help too,

Vista: cannot obtain an IP address ...machines I have connected. Hi, I had exactly the same problem - have a look at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us Fixed it for me straight away! ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...22671 3d70efc

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Old July 1st 07, 06:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
AC [MVP MOSS]

Well, that KB helped, but no fix.

When I set it on my wireless NIC (along with the
DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag=0 that was also present previously as =1), it was
able to get an IP, but not the DNS from my router (home network is setup to
use an internal DNS server that hands off unknowns to my ISP for some
internal stuff... works on all clients). Once i manually set the DNS, it
worked great (but obviously not ideal).

Unfortunately the wired NIC had no effect... kept ketting an internal
autoassigned IP (169...).

Any other ideas?

Old July 2nd 07, 12:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

If that doesn't work, you may want to use static IP instead of DHCP.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

Old July 2nd 07, 11:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
AC [MVP MOSS]

Like I said, that works, but it completely not an option when you're in a
hotel/coffee shop. Pretty poor on Vista's if that's the only option availble
when all other clients have no problems.

--
-AC [MVP MOSS]

Old July 2nd 07, 12:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

Intel 3945 ?
have you tried newer/older drivers?
http://support.us.dell.com/support/d...&fileid=203417

I've seen multiple complaints and issues with the 3945. Sometimes a
different driver resolves issues.

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 04:28:03 -0700, AC [MVP MOSS]
wrote:

Like I said, that works, but it completely not an option when you're in a
hotel/coffee shop. Pretty poor on Vista's if that's the only option availble
when all other clients have no problems.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old July 3rd 07, 12:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
AC [MVP MOSS]

Bingo... combination of the latest drivers and those two broadcast registry
tweaks fixed it for both the hardwired NIC and wireless NIC.

True test will be the hotel next week!

Old July 3rd 07, 03:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.networking_sharing
Barb Bowman

let us know here how things go.