Lost Files

Old October 14th 06, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
JL

Default Lost Files

I recently upgraded my system to Vista RC2. All would appear to be well,
however, I seem to have lost the majority of my files from an external USB
drove (300 gig). The folders are there, but are reported to be empty,
however the disk reports 73 gig in use, so I think they are there but
somehow "unseen".

I have run Check Disk (who knows if it is running or not!)...

Anyone with any ideas?

Regards

JL

Old October 24th 06, 06:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management
R. C. White, MVP

Hi, JL.

Have you given yourself permission to see the files in those folders?

As a one-man one-computer kind of guy, I've never had to learn about Users
and Permissions before, so I'm still learning this UAC stuff, too. :(

In Windows Explorer, navigate to that drive. Right-click on a folder, then
click Properties | Security. If you are logged in as Administrator, you
should be able to Edit the permissions to take Full Control - or such lesser
rights as you choose. In fact, by clicking the Advanced button, you can
make yourself the Owner of the whole drive. You may want to click the
bottom button to "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", but be
prepared for a long wait if there are many files on that drive, because it
has to change the settings for each file individually. (I'm guessing that's
why it took so long when I did this; as I said, I'm not experienced in this
area. You might want to take control of only the folders that you need.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Microsoft Windows MVP
(Currently running Windows Mail 7.0 in Vista x86 RC2 Build 5744)