Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

How do I eliminate the welcome screen?

Old September 1st 06, 08:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Jo

Default How do I eliminate the welcome screen?

I seem to have seen an answer to this before, but can't find it now. The
first few times I logged on ti=o Vista 5534, I went directly to the desktop,
since I am the only user of the computer. However, now it stops at the
welcome page and I must click on my user name before it will continue. How
can I tell Vista to log on without this screen? Does anyone know why it
would begin popping up after not doing so at first?

Old September 1st 06, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Alan Simpson

I haven't done anything with it in 5536. But in previous builds you click
Start, type netplwiz, press Enter, and clear that first checkbox.

Old September 5th 06, 05:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Hank Keleher

I've done this on earlier versions of Vista and it worked like a charm (that
and the control userpasswords2 which is the same.) However it has no effect
on RC1. This is quite annoying especially with the number of reboots
required on installation and when testing applications/hardware. I
understand the need on a network but with a stand alone machine this should
not be necessary. I should be able to control my machine as I see fit.

=(

Old September 10th 06, 07:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Hans Schuts

In another forum I found this solution and with me and RC1 it works
perfectly. I quote Peter Lawton:

"Try putting the setting directly into the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultDomainName"="domainname"
"DefaultUserName"="username"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

Filling in domainname, username and password as appropriate"

I don't have a domain, so I omitted that part.

Old September 10th 06, 07:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Hans Schuts

In another forum I found this solution and with me and RC1 it works
perfectly. I quote Peter Lawton:

"Try putting the setting directly into the registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultDomainName"="domainname"
"DefaultUserName"="username"
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"DefaultPassword"="password"

Filling in domainname, username and password as appropriate"

I don't have a domain, so I omitted that part. So you see, you will be able
to controll your machine as you see fit :-))

Old September 12th 06, 08:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Garry

I just tride Start, type netplwiz, press Enter, and clear that first
checkbox. an it duznt werk!!!!

The checkbox in the netplwiz window iz returned un-checked after restart BUT
I still had to deal with the SignIn button with my user name.

Going into the registry directly with regedit is not my idea of a wonderful
and much acclaimed new operating system.

Garry

Old September 13th 06, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Vbritt

Thanks for the post. I was able to bypass the welcome screen by adding the
DefaultUserName entry to the registry as a string entry. I also checked
several XP machines and found that the DefaultDomainName is set to the
computer's name when you don't really have a domain so I added that entry
also. Now the machine will automatically boot up, but it still appears to go
through the welcome screen. On the beta 2 version you didn't see the welcome
screen at all you just went from a black screen to your desktop. Does anyone
know if there is a way to bypass the welcome screen completely?