Old March 22nd 08, 12:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
SMeddows

Default No Sound - Possible Corrupt DirectX???? I don't know!

Sorry, I am running SP1 and Vista Ultimate. Forgot to add that. Thanks.

"SMeddows" wrote:

I've lost the sound on my laptop and I don't know how to get it back. I have
an HP Compaq nx9430 with 2 Gigs of RAM. Everything was going great after a
clean install of Vista when all of the sudden (I don't know what happened or
updated) the sound stopped working. Now, the strange thing about the sound
is that I can uninstall everything, get rid of the dlls and .sys files for
the drivers. Do a clean install of the sound drivers from HP's website and I
can press my mute button to get the icon in the systray to go to mute and
back. There are even little "sound waves" coming from the speaker in the
systray. However, when I open Mixer, I can see "Speakers" but in the
"Applications" groupbox, Windows Sounds and none of my applications come up.
Applications is empty - yes, totally missing Has anyone ever run across this
before? If so, what did you do to fix it? I'm at my wits end as I can't
listen to music on my laptop while I'm at a coffee shop coding anymore!!
ARGH!

Someone please help. Any KB articles I can look at or hotfixes from MS that
I can call support and aquire?

ANY help that gets me listening to sound again is appreciated.

Thanks
Scott