Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Disable Fast User Switching

Old September 16th 06, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
drahnier

Default Disable Fast User Switching

it's deep down in gpo.

local computer policy
administrative templates
system
logon
Hide entry points for fast user switching
Always use classic logon

this should do the trick, although i havn't tried it yet.

______________________
drahnier

"Kevin Arthur" wrote:

I've looked around several places in the control panel, and on this forum,
and still haven't been able to figure out how to disable the fast user
switching feature in Vista. In XP, this was an option in the User Accounts
control panel, but it's not there in Vista, or anywhere else I can think of.
The help files say that it's turned on by default, but not how to disable
it. Has anyone else figured this out?

Old September 3rd 07, 05:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
rescuer

I'm not sure if your referring to the actual fast user switching, or
disabling the log on user interface when you log in that would do away
with the icons on the log on screen and force you to type in a username
and password. I will address both.

For the log on screen user interface:

To disable the standard log on interface and force the user to have to
use a username and password (the same as XP did when you could 'Disable
fast user switching), You must do a simple edit of the registry.

Open regedit and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System

Look for the Dword 32 bit value "dontdisplaylastusername"
Open that value and change the 'value data' to 1

Exit the registry editor and your done! You should see no more icons
on the user interface log on screen.

For disabling the actual 'fast user switching' that allows you to log
onto another account without actually logging off the account your
using, and hiding the 'Switch User' menu option:

In the registry under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\CurrentVersi on\Policies\System

Create a Dword 32 bit value with the valuename
"DisableFastUserSwitching"

Set its 'value data' to 1

Again, close the registry editor, and you're done.

REMEMBER USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY!!

--
rescuer
rescuer's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461

http://forums.techarena.in

Old September 3rd 07, 06:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
brink[_755_]

rescuer;441636 Wrote:
[...]

rescuer's Profile: 'rescuer's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
Support Forums of India'
(http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461)
View this thread: 'Disable Fast User Switching - Administration'
(http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=553823)

'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

The HKEY location should be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
on\Policies\System

Ooops

Shawn

--
brink

_http://www.Vistax64.com (\"http://www.Vistax64.com\")_
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old September 3rd 07, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
brink[_756_]

rescuer;441636 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Rescuer,

I was able to get the Username and Password one to work, but the
disable "Switch User" one did not work. Any ideas. I used the 64 bit
Home Premium verision. Tech talk is ok, I am not a newbie.

Thank You,
Shawn

Old September 5th 07, 01:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
rescuer[_2_]

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
on\Policies\System

is the key you are looking for. I misprinted it in my earlier reply.

Add the 32bit key DisableFastUserSwitching IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE

Change its value data to 1

This will cause the "Switch User" menu choice on your log off restart
ect. options to disapear.

This has worked on every Vista computer I have tried it on, Including
your home Premium.

Good luck!

Old September 5th 07, 07:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
rescuer[_3_]

rescuer;3137495 Wrote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersi
on\Policies\System

is the key you are looking for. I misprinted it in my earlier reply.

Add the 32bit key DisableFastUserSwitching IF IT IS NOT ALREADY THERE

Change its value data to 1

This will cause the "Switch User" menu choice on your log off restart
ect. options to disapear.

This has worked on every Vista computer I have tried it on, Including
your home Premium.

Good luck!

Sorry folks... my brains just not working..

THE 32 BIT KEY YOU NEED TO CREATE is "HideFastUserSwitching" NOT the
disablefastuserswitching as I noted before.

Old September 5th 07, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
brink[_785_]

rescuer;442768 Wrote:
rescuer;3137495 Wrote:

Sorry folks... my brains just not working..

THE 32 BIT KEY YOU NEED TO CREATE is "HideFastUserSwitching" NOT the
disablefastuserswitching as I noted before.

--
rescuer
rescuer's Profile: 'rescuer's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
Support Forums of India'
(http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=30461)
View this thread: 'Disable Fast User Switching - Administration'
(http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=553823)

'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Rescuer,

LOL, I know what you mean. I get those days myself sometimes. (haha)
It did require me to logoff and logon again for it to take affect, but
it worked.

Thank you,
Shawn

Old June 4th 08, 07:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
josie[_3_]

This was a great fix. But is there a way to change the default picture
as well?

--
josie

Old June 4th 08, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Brink

josie;736719 Wrote:
This was a great fix. But is there a way to change the default picture
as well?

--
josie

Hi Josie,

Yes. This tutorial will show you how to set a default display picture
for all users in the logon screen.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/15...y-picture.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

--
Brink

them.*
*Please post feedback to help others.*
Old June 4th 08, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
josie[_4_]

Shawn,

Thanks, this gave me some ideas. but i am trying to figure out how to
set the default picture after make users login with a user name and
password. after this change there is just a blank square above the user
name and password screen.

--
josie