Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Standard Users

Old November 8th 06, 05:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Frankydp

Default Standard Users

I have got 2 quick questions.

1. Can i assign a current standard user to have the same power as the
default administrator account. UAC disabled. This being said would an option
for standalone and network installation be possible for Vista. I totally
understand the necessity for disabling the default administrator account but
with a standard user account set to administrator, I still do not have the
authority to run self written applications slash programs even if the
programs are set to run as administrator I get lengthy no access errors. I
personally in my situation, of having a standalone one user computer, find
that the UAC is extremely cumbersome. Having the navigate through dozens of
settings just to be able to run applications.

And a little unrelated.

2. Where is the folder view options, such as hidden folders and files.

Thanks in advance.
Old November 8th 06, 05:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Frankydp

PS: I know I know, "you should add a vista manifest to your programs."
Well I will get around to that but for the time being I would just like to
test while I go.

Old November 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Jimmy Brush

1. Can i assign a current standard user to have the same power as the
default administrator account. UAC disabled.

If your user is part of the administrators group and you have UAC disabled,
you have the same power as the built-in administrator.

The user created by the system during setup is actually an administrator;
however, with UAC turned ON, programs do not automatically receive admin
power - the user must approve this power, either by the program always
asking for it (done via manifest) or by the user explicitly giving the power
by right-clicking program and clicking Run As Administrator.

This being said would an option
for standalone and network installation be possible for Vista.

Not sure I understand what you are asking here.

I totally
understand the necessity for disabling the default administrator account
but
with a standard user account set to administrator, I still do not have the
authority to run self written applications slash programs even if the
programs are set to run as administrator

What do you mean here? If you have UAC turned off, these programs run with
admin rights as long as your account is an administrator account (as shown
in user accounts control panel). If you have UAC turned on, and you have
told these programs that you want to run them as administrator, they should
prompt you when they start for permission and then work as expected.

Can you be more specific as to what problems you are encountering?

I get lengthy no access errors.

What are you attempting to access?

personally in my situation, of having a standalone one user computer, find
that the UAC is extremely cumbersome. Having the navigate through dozens
of
settings just to be able to run applications.

It does take some getting used to.

And a little unrelated.

2. Where is the folder view options, such as hidden folders and files.

In any explorer window, click Organize on the toolbar and then Folder and
Search Options.

I will also point out something now that many people find confusing, since
you said you are enabling show hidden files ...

Many old folders from Windows XP have been moved/renamed in Vista (such as
Documents and Settings is now Users, and many many others). However, if you
enable Show Hidden Files, you can still see these old folders - they are
displayed with a ghosted icon and shortcut symbol.

Please note that these are NOT folders - they are application compatability
junctions that point programs that access files thru them to the new
location - and as such, you will get Access Denied errors if you attempt to
browse into them from the shell (or any other program).

Just a heads up

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Old November 9th 06, 08:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Frankydp

After playing with some stuff Im not having issues with the UAC/admin part of
my comment.

But i am experiencing another problem. Have they changed the way processes
are identified and reached in vista?

Old November 9th 06, 12:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Jimmy Brush

But i am experiencing another problem. Have they changed the way
processes
are identified and reached in vista?

In what context are you referring?

The only major difference I can think of is privilege seperation that UAC
enforces between different "levels" of applications. This is a feature
called "Mandatory Integrity Control".

A process running at a higher privilege level is somewhat seperated from
processes in a lower privilege level. For example, a lower-level process
cannot write into the memory of a higher-level process, can't "hook" into a
higher-privilege process thru windows hooks or other mechanisms, can't
insert code, can't send window messages, etc.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/