Vista Administration, Accounts and Passwords Queries, comments and issues relating to the administration of Windows Vista. (microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords)

Can not create Windows Logon Credential

Old November 10th 06, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
ronaldpj

Default Can not create Windows Logon Credential

Hi,

I am using RC1 in a domain environment, but I can't seem to create a Windows
Logon Credential. Neither can I select "remember my password" when I connect
to a network resource. Is it possible to set something like this through a
policy, or is something else wrong.

regards,
Ronald
Old November 10th 06, 01:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Kerry Brown

I don't understand what you are trying to do, simply logon with a domain
account? Is the computer joined to the domain? If it is it should default to
logging on to the domain. If for some reason it isn't pick switch user and
specify the domain user. Note there is no way to pick either the domain or
the local computer from a drop down list as in previous Windows. You have to
specify it in the user name as in ComputerName\UserName or
DomainName\UserName.

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Old November 10th 06, 02:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
ronaldpj

My computer is joined to a domain. But I frequently work at a customers site,
and need to connect to their resources. With Windows XP it is possible to
save your credentials when you connect to a server. In Vista, for me, it is
not possible. Furthermore, if I go to "Manage your Network Passwords", and
try to create a username/password. The option "Windows Logon Credential" is
greyed out. So I can create a "Web site or program credential".

Hope this makes things clear.

regards,
Ronald

Old November 10th 06, 03:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
Kerry Brown

OK now I understand. I do the same thing. I didn't know this was a problem
as I never save my credentials for customer sites. It's a security risk
unless you can guarantee that no one else will ever have physical access to
your PC.

Old November 11th 06, 10:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration_accounts_passwords
ronaldpj

Found it ! It was a policy/registry setting.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa]
Value Name: DisableDomainCreds
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = enable storage (default), 1 = disable storage)
(found on: http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/1286/)