Vista 64 & Asus A8N-SLI delux + SI 3114 raid problem

Old July 18th 07, 09:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Who am I

Default Vista 64 & Asus A8N-SLI delux + SI 3114 raid problem

I'm trying to make a clean install of Vista 64 business. I downloaded several
64bit Sil drivers from the site of SI and AMD (only the XP 64 version, vista
not present). I put it all on an usb-key in started the installation. I
searched the USB during the installation and the Driver from AMD was
compatible. After that, installation of the files is allmost instantaneous
(suspect) and the expansion of the files take some time. In the end, after
the first reboot I get an error on the sil driver and the whole installation
is broke. Can anyone explain what happened or point me to working driver ?

Kind regards,
Who am I
Old July 18th 07, 11:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
freddy

Who am I,

Try using google to search on the words "sil driver vista" (no quotes) and
you'll get hits to peruse. You're in the best position to spot the correct
driver for your system. It's hard to tell from afar. On the other hand,
it's possible there are no Vista compatible drivers for your SI card. In
that event, you'll have to consider buying a compatible card. Just some
thoughts for consideration.,
--
freddy

Old July 18th 07, 12:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jane C

Asus motherboard - try Asus support:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

Enter your motherboard details and you should find the correct drivers.
Drivers are there for x64 Vista for your SiL3114.

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP Windows Shell/User

Old July 18th 07, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Who am I

I went to Silicon image and downloaded several drivers supposed to be
compatible with Vista 64, for different bios versions concerning the Si 3114
raid. None worked however. Changing one year old hardware is not an option
for me. But thanks for you help anyway.

Kind regards

Old July 18th 07, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Who am I

I went to the asus site and downloaded the xp 64bit driver but am sceptical
about it working. Will try however and give feedback tomorrow. Didn't find
Vista drivers though.

Thanks anyway. Kind regards.

Old August 26th 07, 11:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
sparkinark

Well, you might run the 32-bit version of Vista or XP. I don't know why
anyone would think they'd gain anything by running the 64-bit version since
MS and the companies that supply accessories to them are still trying to make
the 32-bit versions run. Also, you are not running a single 64-bit bus to
anything outsite your PC. Your DDR2 is 32-bit x2 x2, which they "call"
128-bit. Same with PCIex16, etc.

Linux will run MPP at however many bits you have a bus driver running at but
they do that by running more than one 32-bit CPU with a 32-bit kernel on each
CPU. They have no plans to go to 64. I"ve worked on MPP systems and also
know that places like Google (and VAX and Cray and the IBM AS400 for that
matter) all run 32-bit systems and let their MPP systems handle the multitude
of 32-bit r/w busses as they wish.

Anyhoo, I suppose the draw towards more bits is just too much for many to
handle. Seriously, just go to 32, get everything running, and then run some
tests. If you want to go to 64, do that and run the same tests. See if it
*actually* does anything for you. I doubt seriously it does.

BTW, MS just had a huge party when they released Vista because they *just
now* got rid of all the 16-bit code in the OS.

Much luck!

sparkinark