Clear recent items doesn't appear

Old July 19th 07, 05:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Barry K

Default Clear recent items doesn't appear

When I right click on recent items in the VISTA start menu to access the
clear recent items function, it does not appear. Is there any way to make the
clear recent items function reappear?
Old July 19th 07, 05:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Robert Firth

You don't see the option 3 from the top "Clear Recent Items List" when you
right click on it? It should be there.

Robert Firth
http://ww.winvistainfo.org

news

Old July 19th 07, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
dean-dean

If you've used 3rd party cleaner, it may have deleted the desktop.ini in
the Recent Items folder. If you navigate to C:\Users\(Your
Name)AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows, does the Recent Items folder have a
special icon? If it doesn't, and only shows the generic manila one, and the
folder is just called Recent (without the word Items), right-click on the
Recent folder and choose Delete. Log Off and then Log On. Open your Start
Menu and type shell:recent. This should restore the folder with the correct
desktop.ini, which will then restore the right-click context menu item
"Clear Recent Items List" (right-click inside the folder that pops up to
test that).

Old July 19th 07, 03:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Barry K

This fix works like a charm. Thank you very much

Old July 19th 07, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Barry K

Hi Dean-Dean:

Now, for some strange reason, no recent items are appearing - even after I
open them, like Word documents. I tried checking the privacy option on the
start menu tab but that doesn't help.

Any thoughts?

Old July 21st 07, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
dean-dean

Hi Barry. Are things still not working? Try opening a couple text
documents, for example. I deleted my own Recent Items folder, twice
actually, to see if I could reproduce your problem, and things always worked
with the new folder created. I did have to Log Off and back On to have the
Recent Items show up in the Start Menu.

Press the Windows key + the R key on your keyboard. When the Run box pops
up, Copy and Paste this:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Re cent\desktop.ini

Click OK. That should bring up Notepad. The text written should look like
this:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21797
InfoTip=@shell32,dll,-12692
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-117
CLSID={0C39A5CF-1A7A-40C8-BA74-8900E6DF5FCD}

Does your desktop.ini for the Recent Items folder look like that?

Old January 13th 09, 04:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
drivespur

dean-dean;609366 Wrote:
[...]

I also had this problem and your fix worked a treat! Thanks.

--
drivespur