change ink cartridges

Old July 25th 07, 07:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diana

Default change ink cartridges

Can you help me find the screen that shows me the ink level of the
cartridges, and the one that walks me through changing the ink cartridges? I
have an HP psc1350 and I think the color ink needs to be changed, not sure
about the black, and would like to checki the ink levels.
--
Maui, Hawaii
Old July 25th 07, 09:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard G. Harper

Check your printer manual or on the HP support Web site.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User]
* NEW! Catch my blog ...

Old July 25th 07, 10:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Richard Urban

Checking ink level is in the function of advanced printer drivers - if it is
offered at all. If there are no Vista drivers for your printer available
from the manufacturer you would likely not have this function.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Old July 25th 07, 01:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PvdG42

"Diana" wrote in message
Can you help me find the screen that shows me the ink level of the
cartridges, and the one that walks me through changing the ink cartridges?
have an HP psc1350 and I think the color ink needs to be changed, not sure
about the black, and would like to checki the ink levels.
--
Maui, Hawaii

As others have said, the drivers will control whether or not the printer can
tell you about cartridge status, but you can try this...

Control Panel-Printers. Right-click on the printer and select Properties.
When the properties dialog appears, look for a Maintenance tab.
On the maintenance tab page, if you find a button labeled something like
"Printer Status", clicking that button should show you ink info. At least,
that's how my Canons work.

Old July 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diana

I found out from my son that there are no Vista drivers that will support
this printer. Thanks for your help anyway.
--
Maui, Hawaii

Old July 25th 07, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Then you will not have than functionality until the printer
manufacturer furnishes updated software/drivers.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

Old July 26th 07, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
huwyngr

Try using the XP software package:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...softwareitem=m
p-23606-2&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=306888&os=228&lang= en

HP Full Feature software/driver: No Network Support

08-2004 4.2.0 - 364.59M

Use the Download only button and not the Install button and use Save if
asked, not Run.

Make a note of where the software downloads to on your PC (you may want
to make a folder, say: HP PSC 1350 in view of all the downloadable
items.

When it's downloaded, turn off the printer and unplug it from the line
socket and unplug the USB cble from the PC.

Go to Start / Settings / Printers and delete and icons there for the
printer and go to Fax and Scan and delete any there as well and reboot
the PC.

Then Right Mouse click on the downoaded file name and select the
Compatibility TAB. Set it to XP with SP2 and check the Run as
Administrator line and OK your way out.

When told to, or after [Finish], plug in the power and turn on the
printer and plug the USB cable into the printer and the PC and it
should install the printer with the HP software not the one in VISTA.

You may have to also install the

HP Photosmart Essential Software for Photo Editing, Printing, and
Sharing

in the same way -- Download, Save, Right mouse click etc but you can
leave the printer connected.

Note that at the XP page for your PSC there are a bunch of updates for
various bugs so install those as well.

Hope that helps -- it may not help but I am finding that XP software is
running fine under VISTA as often as not. However you may find that you
cannot use VISTA specific utilities like Fax or Scan within VISTA but
can do those things using the HP software.

Old July 26th 07, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Diana

From the dialog you provided it looks like you have been the most helpful, I
have printed out your directions, and will try it. Thank you for taking the
time to try and help me, I hope it works! I'll let you know if it does.
--
Maui, Hawaii