Old December 19th 06, 08:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Bruce Sanderson

Default which UPS to buy for vista final?

Both XP and Vista have some built-in support for UPS devices. Depending on
the particular make and model and what "support" you need, the built-in UPS
support may or may not work with your particular UPS.

Generally, the software for the UPS will provide functions like:
- displaying the current load on the UPS
- displaying the current battery charge
- reporting whether or not the UPS is getting AC power or is providing power
from the battery
- shutting down the computer automaticaly when the battery in UPS reaches a
pre-set discharge state

From what I know, the UPS "support" in XP and Vista provides the last three
functions, but not the first.

Unless you can get an positive (with some kind of guarantee) statement from
the manufacturer/vendor, you'll just have to try it, preferrably in a "test"
environment.

Some XP software for UPSs will work with Vista (e.g. PowerChute Personal
Edition Version 2.0 - I use this on Vista for my APC Back-UPS XS 900). The
XP version of the software (UPSMON) for my wife's Power Sentry UPS also
works with Vista.

As others have said, without specific information about the make and model,
it is not possible to give an accurate answer to your question.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP Printing
http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders

"vista" wrote in message
news
i want to buy a non-known trademark usb line interactive ups.
how do i know if it will work with vista?
how do i know if vista will shutdown automatically after power loss.

It has some software but it is for xp. will it be compatible with vista?

do i need this software in vista?
maybe vista itself can handle it?

thanks