Vista won't accept camera

Old August 8th 07, 07:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
enndee

Default Vista won't accept camera

I recently bought a Nikon D40X camera but whatever I try, Vista won't locate
the driver. I downloaded the latest sftware from the Nikon website and their
technical people assure me that it is Vista compatible. Every time I plug in
the camera, the laptop tells me it has found new hardware but when I tell it
to search for the driver, it can't find it, either automatically or manually.
This is driving me mad!!!!! I have run the software on a laptop running
Windows XP and everything runs as it should. Anyone any ideas please?
Old August 8th 07, 07:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
PapaJohn

I use a Nikon D40x and just plugged it into a new Vista Home Basic laptop
for the first time... no driver installation needed. The system found the
camera instantly and the option to have Vista copy the files to my hard
drive worked well and quickly.

But those were JPG fine quality shots, not RAW pix...

the NEF pictures get you into needing the Nikon driver. I had issues with it
on my Vista Ultimate system and hadn't tried it lately on my Home Basic one.
I tried it now. It copied the NEF pix from the camera, and then said there's
an update of Photo Gallery available... to see the NEF pix... I just did
the software download/install and the system reboot needed to use it.

I can actually see thumbnails for the NEF pix and open them in Photo
Gallery.... on my Ultimate system I got into a loop where every time you
used it, Photo Gallery said it had an update, and the end result didn't
work.... I guess it's been resolved, or the issue didn't effect my Home
Basic system.
--

PapaJohn

Old August 8th 07, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Barb Bowman

Unless you have an x64 system. Nikon will never support x64
computing.

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 03:29:16 -0400, "PapaJohn"
wrote:

I can actually see thumbnails for the NEF pix and open them in Photo
Gallery.... on my Ultimate system I got into a loop where every time you
used it, Photo Gallery said it had an update, and the end result didn't
work.... I guess it's been resolved, or the issue didn't effect my Home
Basic system.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Old September 21st 07, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
chocolatepleasure

well i had the same problem but i found the solution over in the mass storage
device threads. basically here's what you do:
1.) run the disk to install whatever you can from it.
2.) connect your nikon to you computer and allow the message "new hardware
found" to appear
3.) let it seach for a while automatically until the screen that asks if you
have the manufacturer's disk comes up. do not put the disk back in.
4.) select the "try other options" icon underneith
5.) on the next screen select browse my computer for for driver software
(advanced)
6.) in the open feild put "C:\" without the quotes and hit next
7.) allow it to find the software. it might go through the process several
times as it continues to find "new software" but follow the same steps 1-6.
when it's finished it might lable your nikon as generic volume, but if you go
to my computer it will have an icon labled nikon d40x. it should now work. =)

so yea, a little time consuming but worth it, and i think this should work
for any other driver problems like this.
have fun with your camera!