2 big problems with Windows DVD Maker

« - | - »

Old August 18th 07, 05:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
stever99

Default 2 big problems with Windows DVD Maker

I have two serious problems with Windows DVD Maker.

1) I have been using it to burn WMV files. Almost every file has out of sync
sound when I watch the dvd on my dvd player. I've burned the files using
other burning software (DVD Flick), and this problem does not occur - so it's
not my dvd player.

2) I can only get the problem to burn WMV files. If I try to burn an AVI
file, the program crashes.

Please help me, I'm going nuts.
Old August 18th 07, 06:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:28:00 -0700, stever99
wrote:

I have two serious problems with Windows DVD Maker.

1) I have been using it to burn WMV files. Almost every file has out of sync
sound when I watch the dvd on my dvd player. I've burned the files using
other burning software (DVD Flick), and this problem does not occur - so it's
not my dvd player.

2) I can only get the problem to burn WMV files. If I try to burn an AVI
file, the program crashes.

Please help me, I'm going nuts.

If you are intending to make a DVD then you should be rendering
(publishing, finishing, whatever you want to call it) to MPEG-2 format
otherwise you're going to end up adding extra decoding/encoding steps
which only causes problems and reduces quality.

Both WMV and AVI formats are fine IF you only intend to play back the
finished product off a computer. If you want to play off a DVD player,
start with MPEG-2, otherwise you're just asking for endless headaches
and repeated frustration.

Old August 18th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
stever99

Well, this is interesting. I use Nero Express to burn avis to dvd. I burn
them as a data disc, and this usually works perfectly because I'm not adding
any extra encoding. They play perfectly on my dvd player (which reads avi).
There is no sync problem, etc.

(Just fyi, I'm only interested in watching dvds on my tv, not my computer)

So, I've got AVI covered, and my problem is really with burning WMV to dvd.
Windows DVD Maker actually works great for the picture, but I always have the
sync sound problem.

Do I understand you correctly that I should be converting WMV files to MPEG,
and then burning them to dvd?
Old August 18th 07, 08:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
Adam Albright

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:00:01 -0700, stever99
wrote:

Well, this is interesting. I use Nero Express to burn avis to dvd. I burn
them as a data disc, and this usually works perfectly because I'm not adding
any extra encoding. They play perfectly on my dvd player (which reads avi).
There is no sync problem, etc.

(Just fyi, I'm only interested in watching dvds on my tv, not my computer)

So, I've got AVI covered, and my problem is really with burning WMV to dvd.
Windows DVD Maker actually works great for the picture, but I always have the
sync sound problem.

Do I understand you correctly that I should be converting WMV files to MPEG,
and then burning them to dvd?

If you have DVD Maker (this software only comes in Home Premium and
Ultimate versions of Vista) and you use Movie Maker to make/edit your
project then DVD Maker converts the Movie Maker project file into
MPEG-2 so it can be understood for further processing and be made into
a compliant format any DVD player should be able to play. On the
surface that sounds good and is alright depending on what file format
your start out with. Nero, Easy Media Creator, any DVD "burning"
software does basically the same thing. The difference is WHICH
encoder and method they use. Some encoders simply do a much better job
of encoding than others do.

So the analogy would be beer is beer, in that any beer has malt, hops
and gets "brewed" and put into barrels, bottles or cans, but obviously
a premium brand like Samuel Adams makes a "better" beer "taste" wise
since they use better ingredients than cheaper brands. A better video
encoding like a better beer brewing makes a better finished product.

Not to quibble, but you can't play a AVI file on a DVD player. However
some DVD players can play MPEG4 format with some proprietary codec
which is really some kind of DivX file not a true AVI file, since AVI
in this case is simply a wrapper and not a file type.

Now is to why all that makes a difference. Unless you start out with a
true totally uncompressed or raw AVI file which by nature are huge in
size, like maybe 50-60 GB for a hour's play you are always beginning
with a file that is already compressed to some degree. The general
rule is avoid recompressing a file that's already compressed otherwise
you compound any artifacts that may already be present.

It really depends WHERE your source comes from. Most consumer grade
video cameras are capable of outputting some type of DV (digital
video) file, typically DV AVI. While compressed, the quality holds up
so ideally it will encode like this:

Source DV AVI tape from consumer digital camera input via firewire or
USB into a video editor capable of generating MPEG-2. Result you have
some unavoidable compression when the tape is created by the video
camera. You edit this tape once it input to your video editor and
again you can't avoid some compression on top of what already happened
as the file gets transcoded from DV AVI to MPEG-2. Now it is ready to
get made ready to be "burned" onto a DVD.

However if you start with a DV AVI then transcode to WMV or DivX AND
then transcode again to get it to MPEG-2 you have an extra step of
compression.

To further muddy the waters you technically in the situation you
described aren't really "burning" anything at all. You're simply
making a data disk in that whatever file you end up with after editing
it simply "copied" to a blank DVD and you happen to have a DVD player
that can read such a disc.

A true DVD is only "burned" if it undergoes a transformation when
source files somewhere along the process first get converted to a DVD
compliant file type (MPEG-2) then whatever DVD burning software you
use takes that source, demuxes (demuxing/demultiplexing) which
basically means splitting the files that have both a combined video
and audio portion into separate audio and video streams and encodes
each separately along with any extra files like subtitles, then takes
the whole collection and makes VOB files THEN you have a actual DVD
disc that any DVD player should be able to play.

Out of sync problems can arise either during the encoding or during
decoding as the file is played back. Without a professional grade
video editor you can't really step through the file frame by frame to
pin down what if anything is going wrong during editing or encoding.

While it won't help, maybe you can get some comfort in that it is a
common problem. Try a Goggle search using "audio out of sync with
homebrew video" or similar terms of which the following offers a
detailed critique of the problem.

http://www.inventa.com.au/Audio-Vide...0Captur e.htm

Again the limiting factor is really the editor you're using. If the
problem is there BEFORE it gets played back then if the editor is
willing meaning you can stretch or shrink either the audio or video to
more closely sync in critical sections where it would be obvious out
of wack ie about .25 second or more, that's one solution. Obviously
Microsoft's toy applications can't do such things.

Old August 18th 07, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What's the fault bucket data--
http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html#bucket
?

--
Speaking for myself only.

Old September 20th 07, 08:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
KymberDreams

Product
Windows DVD Maker

Problem
Stopped working

Date
9/20/2007 3:24 AM

Status
Report Sent

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DVDMaker.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b5b0
Fault Module Name: iac25_32.ax
Fault Module Version: 2.0.5.53
Fault Module Timestamp: 4549bcd1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00003548
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 8d13
Additional Information 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Additional Information 3: 8d13
Additional Information 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 346388446

For me, I add my file... click next and it shuts down on me every time. Any
help to get beyond the add file screen would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kymber

Old September 20th 07, 11:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.music_pictures_video
zachd [MSFT]

What codec package did you install? Someone registered the Ligos Intel
Audio Codec, which you did not need and probably did not want. This will
then blow up in DoesFilterSupportMPEG2(). (I was looking at this very issue
yesterday...)

* Contact Ligos and see if they have an update available
* Uninstall the codec package that installed/registered the Intel Audio
Codec
* Open a CMD.exe prompt as an admin and run " regsvr32 /u iac25_32.ax "

I would be extremely interested in knowing if Ligos has a recommend solution
path on this.

--
Speaking for myself only.