Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA

Old August 8th 07, 07:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Imageman

Default Can't write to or format DVD's in Plextor PX-755SA

Windows Vista 64 bit / Plextor PX-755SA / 4 GB memory /

Several months ago, I lost the ability to write to my Plextor. I have
installed the latest firmware (v107), installed Roxio Easy Media Creator 9
upgrade as recommended and provided by Plextor.

I was using the Roxio 'Drag-To-Disk' feature to back up my daily
photography. After filling up a DVD-RW and inserting a new disk as I had
done many times, I suddenly got the 'can't format', or 'no disk in drive'
messages (or similar) from both Roxio, and also from Windows Vista when I
use the default Microsoft process. I've tried all the different disk formats
that are supposed to be compatible with the Plextor. No idea what to do
next. Help appreciated, and thanks - IM

Old August 8th 07, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Is your drive recognized in Device Manager with no problems?

If you get an error code, you could try the fix he

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b/929461/en-us

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 8th 07, 08:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Some people have had luck with issues like this by deleting the INFCACHE.1 file
in C:\Windows\inf.

If I were you I would rename the file INFCACHE.1.BAK (or move it to your desktop
temporarily), reboot, and see if the problem persists.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 11th 07, 05:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Imageman

Cal - This worked, though it took me couple hours to figure out how to give
myself 'permissions' to make the change, So with your help, I've learned a
lot - Thank you VERY much, IM

Old August 11th 07, 06:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

You're most welcome.

Great news that you got it to work.

I will try to give better and more complete instructions in the future!

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

Old August 11th 07, 07:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Imageman

Cal - Not only did your advice and the drive work, my big stack of CD and
DVD 'coasters' formatted, and are now functional again. I'm a photographer,
and my workflow calls for a daily copy of the days work on DVD's, and they
go to a location out of my studio. I get very nervous when I can't do the
backup - Thanks again :-) - IM

Old August 11th 07, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Cal Bear '66

Good news, indeed!

Relax and enjoy!

--