Old June 11th 08, 09:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Colin Barnhorst[_2_]

Default External USB hub not working

Nevertheless, many hubs that work fine with XP do not do so with Vista. In
fact, I had one older hub that blue-screened Vista. Get a Vista-compatible
hub.

There is a limit on how many devices a system can handle (there is only so
much power available to the usb bus to support data transfers) and it is not
the case that you can successfully connect devices to all available ports
simultaneously on many computers. I have seen reports of a fouth device
causing a usb hard drive to disappear from Computer.

"Marcus" wrote in message
m...
I have read that USB has some quirks that make it not fast enough for
many new devices and that USB is not the connection of choice in new
systems; however, eSata seems to have some problems in Vista (see my

Wikipedia has some interesting stuff about USB.

John

The strange fact is that if the any hub is really USB compliant, it should
simply work, regardless being used on Vista, Mac OSX or Linux.

I'm asking my self if there may be some configuration tweak to adjust:
- the hub is "working" (slow but working)
- it acts like if not being USB 2, while it really is
- it is shown like having 4 ports instead of 7.....

Any hint?