Vista does not recognise my monitor but XP does

Old September 18th 06, 08:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirefm

Default Vista does not recognise my monitor but XP does

I have an NEC LCD monitor. XP recognised it and yesterday automatically
updated the driver for it. Vista only sees as 'PNP'. I sthere some way I can
force Vista to use the right drive.

Colin
Old September 18th 06, 09:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Since your dispaly is connected to you grahics card and not to your MOBO it
is graphics card and drivers that may need to recognize your moniotr if you
are unable to use custom resolutions. Both NVIDIA and ATI have released new
RC1 Vista drivers which also may make a difference.

Old September 18th 06, 09:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Nope.
Monitor driver is supplied by the monitor manufacturer.
All he needs is the inf file for the proper installation.
Go to NEC's website and find the driver there.
I installed my LG 1740B LCD monitor using the Windows XP x64 inf file.
That is all you need.
Carlos

Old September 18th 06, 09:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirefm

All settings work fine even though its PNP. IE its just a very minor
annoyance. I've been to the NEC site and downloaded the driver but Vista
won't instal it because it doesn't see it as a NEC monitor.

Colin
Old September 18th 06, 10:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Use the manual method for installing the driver.
Go to Device Manager and right click on your monitor.
Click on Update Driver, Browse my computer..., Let me pick...., Have Disk.
Now point to your downloaded inf file.
That should do it.
Carlos

Old September 19th 06, 01:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirefm

Unfortunately that doesn't do it because Vista is looking for a driver for a
pnp monitor. If I could change the monitor type somewhere it would work I
think but there is no provison for that. In theory the file I downloaded from
NEC is executable, but actually its just a bunch of.inf files.

Thanks anyway. Its hardly worth anybody's effort!

Colin

Old September 19th 06, 03:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JewelsH

Well this forum is good for #%&@. I just typed up a detailed list of how I
installed my monitor and it is gone.

I downloaded my monitor driver from Envision and ran as an admin. That
created an Envision folder on my C drive. From there, I right-clicked the
desktop, chose personalize, display settings, advanced settings, clicked the
monitor tab, then properties(at which point you need to give windows
permission to continue), click driver tab, update driver, then browse. Click
on the browse button and click on the folder that has the drivers. Once that
is set in the search bar, click on next and let it do it's things. It should
come up with your monitor or a list of them to chose.

Old September 19th 06, 04:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Spirefm

I wish it did, but it doesn't. You actually got a driver apparently. All I
got was a .inf file.
Old September 19th 06, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Carlos

Hi:
Those inf files are all you need.
I also had the PNP monitor issue and solved it using the method described in
my earlier post.
Follow it exactly and you'll be able to use your monitor.
Carlos