5.25 inch Floppy

Old September 19th 06, 09:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

Default 5.25 inch Floppy

Not that anyone cares, but VISTA RC1 will recognize and read an old 5.25 inch
floppy drive.
--
Paul
Old September 20th 06, 01:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 14:03:02 -0700, PaulB
wrote:

Not that anyone cares, but VISTA RC1 will recognize and read an old 5.25 inch
floppy drive.

Now that is interesting because XP pro would NOT do that even if it
did show in the BIOS POST info screen.

Old September 20th 06, 01:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

Hi Steve,
I'm surprized that you said that since i have been using it for quite some
time with XP Pro. I haven't done anything unusual on my XP machine (now also
VISTA RC1)other than enabling it in BIOS.
--
Paul

Old September 20th 06, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:29:02 -0700, PaulB
wrote:

Hi Steve,
I'm surprized that you said that since i have been using it for quite some
time with XP Pro. I haven't done anything unusual on my XP machine (now also
VISTA RC1)other than enabling it in BIOS.

Another message list mentioned this. I said "They are full of it" and
grabbed a old 5.25 drive out of a 286 box and installed it as the B:
drive. Bios said it was there. XP device manager would not add it.
Moved the drive to the A: position and inserted a bootable floppy===
It booted DOS, which sort of said the drive was OK.

So what did you do to get it to work? (I am looking at the drive right
now, sitting all dusty on the shelf G).

Old September 20th 06, 03:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
PaulB

Hi Steve,
The only thing I did was use the original cable (with two connectors at each
position) that the 5.25inch and the 3.5 inch floppy were connected to in my
old Gateway 2000. This cable has the crossovers for select. The 5.25 gets
connected in the center and the 3.5 inch at the end. That was it. I enabled
it in BIOS and booted to XP pro. It found the drive and it showed up as B:
in My Computer.
--
Paul

Old September 20th 06, 02:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Steve Urbach

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:10:02 -0700, PaulB
wrote:

Hi Steve,
The only thing I did was use the original cable (with two connectors at each
position) that the 5.25inch and the 3.5 inch floppy were connected to in my
old Gateway 2000. This cable has the crossovers for select. The 5.25 gets
connected in the center and the 3.5 inch at the end. That was it. I enabled
it in BIOS and booted to XP pro. It found the drive and it showed up as B:
in My Computer.

Did the exact same thing(used the cable from the 286 box that had the
dual size combo of drives). Go figure.... Got to be a XP FD
controller chip driver thingie as some work and some don't.

Thanks