no display after bootup.... (not nVidia)

Old October 3rd 06, 08:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jason

Default no display after bootup.... (not nVidia)

Hi all,

I also have the no display after boot problem, i'm running RC1 on a 1.7GH'z
Celeron Laptop, with 1GB Memory, for the most, it runs very well, system
spec concidering.

however, i do NOT have an nVidia card, like most people thatseem to have
this error, I have a sis 650 chipset running an sis 315 graphics, using the
drivers from Microsoft. where this gets interesting, is, if i boot with an
external monitor plugged in, as I am now, then its fine, (not on the laptop
display though), and if I boot into VGA Mode (without the external monitor),
then this will come up, i can then uninstall the Display driver, reboot into
normal mode, and it all comes up, installs the graphics card, and I can use
it as normal, until I shutdown again. then this process is repeated, I am
one for using hibernate, so i may try hibernating the system with the
external monitor, and then restoring it without, see if that makes a
difference.

I guess this isn't an issue with nVidia drivers, if my SIS card is doing it
too, Other than this error, there has been no problems with using RC! atall,
i'm very impressed, and haven't had to put a single driver disk into the
system, and everything is working, even my netgear MA111 which people have
reported as not working!

if anyone knows of any other work-arounds for this problem, please let me
know, it will save blood pouring out of my forehead after being repeatedly
smacked on the desk....

Jay.