Old September 25th 08, 10:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Rick Rogers

Default DVD Drive Disappeared after I did some Maintenance

Hi,

Try the steps outlined he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bagassa" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

After I did some cleanup & maintenance, my Vista (Business) computer could
no longer see my DVD/CD-ROM drive.

The "device manager" utility gives me this error message (even after
trying to update the driver):

"A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate
driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

The cleanup & maintenance that I did was: Uninstall a program that
calibrates the monitor (HP display assistant), updated my Flash player,
uninstalled a Dell printer driver, and run a virus check.

Thanks for your time and for any help you can provide.

Peter

=============
Here's what I tried
=============
* I looked at all the disabled services in the "services console". I
don't see how those services can affect the DVD drive. The disabled
services a "DNS client", "Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)", "Net TCP
Port Sharing Service", "Routing and Remote Access", "Virtual Studio 2008
Remote Debugger".
* I tried the "system restore" but it had no effect.
System Information
* The drive is an "ATAPI DVD C DH48C2S"
* I am running Windows Vista Business on an HP workstation