Any ideas how to fix aero problem on Radeon X800GT

Old November 10th 06, 03:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jonty

Default Any ideas how to fix aero problem on Radeon X800GT

Have a Radeon X800GT card running with RC2. On startup the task bar and start
menu are aero. As soon as open any program, hard drive etc it instantly
reverts to Vista basic. If I go to personalize and colors and appearance, all
that is displayed is Vista basic and the option to enable aero is not
displayed.

Have tried Windows repair and later drivers from ATI. Still no go. This was
occurring as soon as I loaded Windows.

The default Windows driver shows as WDDM.

I suspect it may be something to do with the Nforce 4 ultra drivers.
Couldn't get raid to work, so who knows with their PCI express drivers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 10th 06, 01:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
DCR

When you close the program, does your display go back to Aero?
When I open certain programs, I get a message box that says Aero has been disabled, but when I close
the program it automatically goes back to Aero.
If yours does not, I would guess that it is an ATI driver problem.

Old November 10th 06, 01:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
JW

Are these the "later" drivers you referred to? If not I suggest that you try
them.

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/...olderID=571 2

Old November 10th 06, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Egor

Same thing here.

Happens with either standard Microsoft WDDM dirvers or latest ATI drivers.

Seems to be caused by fatal error in the Desktop Window Manager.

However have been unable to pin down the cause.

My board is an intel based chipset so no nforce drivers.

If anyone has any pointers please.

Old November 10th 06, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Egor

Discovered that the Desktop Window Manager Error seems to occur with the
standard Microsoft installed wddm driver for vista RC2 and the ATI RTM
driver. Uninstalling and reverting to RC1 ATI driver brings back the AERO
interface and no longer crashes the Desktop Window Manager. Happy days
again....

Old November 10th 06, 09:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Marv

I'm having the same problem, where can I find those RC1 drivers, or how can I
revert back to it? I installed a clean RC2

Old November 11th 06, 12:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices
Jonty

Thank you kind people. Tried using the RC1 drivers and all works fine now. So
much for ATI having their drivers certified.