Old January 15th 09, 10:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management,microsoft.public.windows.vista,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
Adam A. Wanderer

Default Does Vista use a file system when burning CD's that XP can't read?

"98 Guy" wrote in message ...
If files are copied (drag'n'dropped) to a CD-R while using Vista, are
those files accessible if the CD is put into an XP machine? I've heard
of some first-hand accounts where this seems to be the case.

Does Vista use a file system on burned CD's or DVD's that XP can't read?

If so, does Micro$oft provide a driver for XP to be able to read them?

I'm a long, long way from being an expert, but part of it may be the
"version" of UDF XP and/or Vista use. Also, there's a UDF/ISO "bridge
format" that uses both in the same disk so that both new and older systems
can read the CD/DVD created. To make matters worse, there are ways to
"relax" the UDF and ISO formats to make them easier to work with, but that
can result in the disk not working, or working, on different machines and
programs (it's usually best never to "relax" the format, unless you know for
sure it won't make any difference.
Note: An experienced user of the Nero disk burning program can tell you
more about the options for UDF, ISO and UDF/ISO "bridge" formats and what
can be "relaxed" when creating CD/DVDs. (I'm not an experienced user.)
Nero, and other programs, has the supreme advantage of being able to "tweak"
the UDF, ISO and "bride" options/settings, whereas you can't change the XP
or Vista settings. What UDF-ISO-UDF/ISO formats and "relaxations" the "Drag
and Drop" methods use on either XP or Vista, probably only someone at
Microsoft could even begin to tell you, and they don't talk to the public
much. I tried to find out at the Microsoft web site, and it's actually
worse than stereo instructions or understanding the inner workings of some
super computer! (Go to http://www.microsoft.com and use the search feature
to feed in UDF, ISO, and both UDF/ISO together.)