Partition Sizes?

« - | - »

Old August 29th 06, 02:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tommy_wt

Default Partition Sizes?

i have a 15 gb partition and been running for a while and have 4gb free after
disk cleanup (2.5gb before, lots of thumbnails and error reports) i install
nothing on this partition exept for updates, swap file, my documents and ORB.
it is simply a operating system partition. for my programs i have them
installed on a raid array set to R: (you could use a partition with no OS if
you wanted) and programs will run in xp and vista being installed on both
os's for some, but with most programs i only needed to installed in xp or
vista. it is set as R: for both xp and vista.this is the way to go as far as
im concerned. i would not go less than 15gb for a os only partition! vista is
currently taking up 11gb (for those that cant do math) and it will need alot
more once updates and service packs start rolling in. i have a raid array
because of media center, but for the gb deprived i would say 13 is the
absolute minimum!
ps you dont have to reinstall most programs (Kerry Brown) a few yes, but the
most will work if installed on the non os drive. those that dont usualy have
a repair on the uninstall program that will fix it if not.
Old August 29th 06, 03:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris

Tommy. I have experimented several times with moving nearly 500 programs.
You can install progams to your non-Vista or non-XP drive and most will work
fine, but some will insist on forcing some files to the C:\ drive or XP
drive. When you copy/move programs installed from one disk to another,
some will break. Office 2003 at the time before I could get my hands on
2007,asked for a repair and I repaired it quickly with Detect and Rapair
(things aren't always that rosy with Detect and Repair).

I experimented with this and had most programs installed to E:\. I copied
them and most made the move fine. 10 had to be reinstalled--Office fixed
with Detect and Repair.

Currently on a dual boot with XP and Vista 5536 pre-RC1 foreplay before
Labor day, I find that I can drag a few porgrams from the F:\drive onto the
Vista DT and run them from Vista. Adaware is one that runs fine. Many won't
run in Vista without being installed from Vista. Office is an example. One
Note tries to set up but says it needs files and even if supplied it won't
setup on Vista without being installed there.

Some programs will run on Vista when started from another drive, and a lot
won't.

As to accessing XP I can access most of it--although to get into some
folders you have to go through a lot of bureaucratic UAC hoops but once you
get used to some of them they don't take long. UAC is a long way from smart
deployment, and I don't think MSFT is ever going to get there. A lot of
people won[t use it.

I haven't turned it off since 5536 got installed on this box last week, and
I want to see if I can run with it full on.

CH