Vista 5536 Unable To Connect To The Net

Old August 29th 06, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Hapa

Default Vista 5536 Unable To Connect To The Net

One of the 100000 users that wass able to download the Pre-RC1 build of vista
last night, got a major problem here.

After the initial install of vista I can not connect what so ever to the
internet, I've tried updating the driver for my onboard marvell gigabit
ethernet but that just makes things worse as it totaly kills the Local Area
network and you can't get it back unless you perform a system restore or
reload the PC completely.

I've narrowed the issue down to my wireless router which is a Linksys
WRT54GS. My desktop is hard plugged into the router ( note wireless ) I can
ping out fine, I can renew and release the IP address, I even disabled all
the onboard security on the router which totaly killed my wireless network in
my home, but I can not browse the internet what so ever. Windows Update works
etc etc etc.

I've since installed Vista Beta 2 X64 edition which works perfectly fine. I
guess something was changed now and the router is incompatible with Vista,
anyone have any suggestions???? Might aswell just wait for RC1 anyways. Gonna
reload with Windows XP Professional X64 Edition.
Old August 30th 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom Ziegmann

Hello Hapa,

There is a known issue with Marvell Ethernet Controllers and it is being
fixed.

Tom Ziegmann
Microsoft Certified Professional
Windows Vista / Server Longhorn Technical Beta Tester
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Technical Beta Tester

Old August 30th 06, 02:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
B Barley

I don't think it's an issue with the marvell hardware. I have the same, and
did the same thing as you did...updating the driver completely broke
everything. At least it rolled back gracefully.

I did a lot of internet searches on this problem tonight and it seems that
it's a problem with the new tcpip and most routers that have firewall
enabled. Specifally one feature that I can't remember of course.
Regardless...the linksys router wrt54g will not let you disable the
problem...you have to disable firewall completely on the router and I still
haven't gotten it to work.

I'm going to mess with it a bit more tonight yet and will get back with
results tomorrow.

Old August 30th 06, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Tom Ziegmann

Hello,

If you are having trouble with your Marvell adapter try this. I ran it on
one of my machines and it worked

Open properties for your Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet Controller
configure the adapter
go to the advanced tab
change IPv4 Checksum Offload to "Disabled"

Old October 6th 06, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Patrick

Sorry to revive a relativly old thread but I thought this was important.

I had this exact problem under RC1 with my Marvell Yukon PCI Gigabit
Ethernet card, I tried the solution below and initially I checked the "IPv4
Checksum Offload" but it was already disabled. I almost got discouraged but I
noticed that my adapted (may vary with some) also had TCP and UDP checksum
offload for both IPV4 and IPv6 so i disabled these as well and it finally
worked!!!

So to summerize if you use the below method and it still doesnt work try
finding the following and disabiling them as well:

TCP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
TCP Checksum Offload (IPv6)
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv4)
UDP Checksum Offload (IPv6)

I hope this helps!!!

Old February 6th 07, 02:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
dstrack

I installed Vista Ultimate last night and all seems to be working except
sound and Internet Connection... I anticipate downloading new sound drivers
once I can get onto the internet. I do have a Linksys WRT54GS Router (wired
connection) and Marvell Yukon Controller... do we still have this problem
with the full release now? Should I Disable the below flags? I was
considering getting a new router.... Thoughts?

Old February 15th 08, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
murphyslaww

Whatever was in the auto update last night wiped all my network settings.
Hopefully that was unintentional, or Microsoft is singlehandedly keeping
firedog and other "nerds" companies in business.

I have a Dlink draft n DIR-655 router, but I seriously doubt that was the
problem.