PreRC1 Quick Install

Old August 31st 06, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jo

Default PreRC1 Quick Install

I want to give MS a + for making the intallation of Vista a breeze compared
to XP. The install of PreRC1 (clean install) took only about 30 min, I
think, and required little or no hand-holding. I was able to go away from
the computer and it finished without me! I've met up with some problems that
still need to be corrected, but over-all the change from public Beta2 is
enormous, as has been reported by others. (XP seems to take hours to
install, so this is a big change.)

Also, 5536 boots up and shuts down MUCH faster than beta2. And the
explorer errors I was getting seem to be cleared up. (I still like the XP
explorer interface better, however. Those little carots that don't show up
till you click or hover are annoying. )
Some problems I do have include the computer not coming back to life after
closing the laptop lid. It goes into permanent sleep and has to be rebooted.
Does anyone else have this problem? (This is on a Toshiba A75-226). I'm
wondering if I should install the Toshiba power management tool, though doing
so involves tricking the program into thinking it is XP. Also, anti-virus
compatibility is way less than with the beta2 build. Finally, Security
Center lists uninstalled virus programs as still being installed and working.
This could be a security problem as someone could think they were protected
when they weren't. Sound support is also minimal, at least for the laptop
Realtek 97, with no mike available. The old Toshiba driver at least gives me
mike support, but the sound quality is poor.

Old August 31st 06, 11:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Jimmy Brush

Hello,

"permanent sleep" - I love that expression! lol

Yes, my computer has to be restarted when it goes into sleep mode as well. I
haven't checked for a BIOS update yet, I'm hoping that will fix my problem.

You can change your power settings easily by click start, typing POWER into
the box, and clicking Power Options. Use the links on the sidebar.

--
- JB

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/