Downloaded RC1 ISO Image, but not recognized and will not boot

Old September 1st 06, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
touchy2k

Default Downloaded RC1 ISO Image, but not recognized and will not boot

I downloaded the RC1 ISO image, but it will not boot and not recognized by my
system. I burned 4 different DVD to eliminate the prospect of a bad DVD. When
the image was downloaded it said it was successful with no errors. Here is
the file name that I downloaded
vista_5536.16385.060821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso. I
tried redowloading again, but was not able to.
Old September 1st 06, 10:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
danbrown

When you burned the file did you burn it as an Image file? I had to get
new software before I could burn it properly. I ended up getting Nero
Ultimate and was able to burn a good copy. It installed great. From
helpful posts I learned thet you must find the option to burn as ISO or
Image and burn at lowest speed to insure clean copy. Try again

--
danbrown
danbrown's Profile: http://vista64.net/forums/member.php?userid=5

Old September 1st 06, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
touchy2k

I also used Nero ULtra 7. I used Nero 7 for the Beta 2 also to burn the DVD -
that worked fine. Maybe, I need another image to try, but cannot download
from microsoft. anymore.

Old September 1st 06, 03:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
touchy2k

I have an idea how about ftp ypur image to me. i have my own beta 2 key I can
use.
ftp.ty2k.com
username: vistarc1
Password: vistahelp

Invitation to participate in Windows Vista pre-RC1 test program

We would like to invite you to help test the latest build of Windows Vista.

Thank you for participating in the Windows Vista Beta 2 Customer Preview
Program (CPP). Your help is playing a critical role in improving the overall
quality of what we believe is one of the most important OS advances in the
history of PC computing. As a participant in the Beta 2 CPP, you will be able
to download Windows Vista Release Candidate 1 (RC1) as soon as it becomes
available.

In the mean time, we are inviting a limited number of CPP participants to
help test a pre-RC1 build. Your timely feedback on this build will help us
improve the quality of the final RC1 release that will be available to
millions of customers in the coming weeks.

We are only making 100,000 downloads of this build available. As soon as we
reach 100,000 downloads, the program will be closed. Participation in this
program is not required for participation in the RC1 CPP. Whether or not you
participate in this pre-RC1 test, we will send you another email message to
alert you to the availability of the final RC1 build.

here is an excerpt of the email received from MS:

Old September 1st 06, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
HDRDTD

Remember, once you have downloaded the .ISO file, you need to start Nero,
then choose 'Open', navigate to where you stored the .ISO file, and choose
that file, then burn it to DVD as a DVD Image, not as a normal data DVD.

If you did it right, you'll be able to take the burned image DVD, put it in
your DVD drive and it will launch automatically. You should also be able to
open Windows Explorer and examine the DVD Image disc and see various
subdirectories and files.

Old September 1st 06, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
touchy2k

I did everything to the3 letter but still does not work. I am not new to
burning ISO images to dvd. as stated prior, I did this with BETA 2 - problem
free. When i burn the DVDS they show up as RAW 0 available, 0 free. Yes, I
chose to burn it as a DVD image. To be honest, I should not be spending this
much time to get the product installed so i can test it. Anymore suggestions
are always welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Old September 1st 06, 05:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
tmax60

I have the exact same problem. I definitely know what I'm doing setting the
boot drive in the system BIOS as well as burning ISO images, so that doesn't
seem to be an issue. I have noticed some older threads with this booting
issue mentioning Pioneer drives...my laptop has the slim K16 multi-drive with
the most current firmware. The strange thing is if I first boot the system
with a DOS startup disc (from which it boots fine) and then FDISK and delete
any partition information, the system will then boot from the DVD. It would
be nice to be able to boot directly from the DVD as I would like to use the
repair environment to restore backup images from an external HDD and I can't
get there any other way (that I'm aware of, anyway).

Any more suggestions out there?

Old September 1st 06, 06:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
HDRDTD

Sorry, no offense intended, I just had to make sure....

Are you able to see any files/folders on the burned DVD?

As you probably remember, a long time ago, there was much discussion about
burning the image at the slowest speed possible.

I 've never had any such problem with any of the images I've downloaded and
burned myself at the max speed of the burner/media, but I guess others have.

Old September 1st 06, 08:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Barefoot

The Download Manager Failed. I downloaded from my browser successful download
but unable to burn due to an error in the iso. Was finally able to burn a
disk but get an error at launch. The ISO is obviously broken but I am unable
to replace

Old September 1st 06, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
David Wilkinson

touchy2k wrote:

I downloaded the RC1 ISO image, but it will not boot and not recognized by my
system. I burned 4 different DVD to eliminate the prospect of a bad DVD. When
the image was downloaded it said it was successful with no errors. Here is
the file name that I downloaded
vista_5536.16385.060821-1900_vista_rc1_x86fre_client-lr1cfre_en_dvd.iso. I
tried redowloading again, but was not able to.

touchy:

I assume you checked the hash of the .iso download? There is no point in
burning if the hash is bad.

Build 5536 x86
MD5 hash: e7f0a439e1e61d57ebf3c4f89e2f96d7
SHA1 hash: d1e7eaeb9893200c80e8a4902f2b012f3ff3eef6

David Wilkinson