RC1: BSOD during "Performance test"

Old September 2nd 06, 10:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Ben Beideman

Default RC1: BSOD during "Performance test"

I have submitted a bug report to Microsoft regarding this issue, but I was
just curious to see if anyone else out there has experienced a STOP:
0x000000F4 error during the "performance test" after creating the first user
account. I have gotten this error on 5600 and also the 5536 builds. After a
reboot, I have to create a second user account and then it skips over the
performance test and everything seems fine. The details of this BSOD are as
follows:

STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x86724D90, 0x907B7D28, 0x00000000)

win32k.sys Address 0x907B7D28 base at 90600000, dateStamp 44f54788

Thanks.

Ben
Old September 27th 06, 08:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Blue

Hello

i'm experiencing similar problems during normal usage of my machine.

I was watching a dvd and deleted some files, tha machine froze and i had to
reset it.

afterwards my pc wouldn't start, without showing a bluescreen regarding the
win32k.sys.

i had to remove the driver of my graphiccard in safe mode, then i could do a
clean restart

greetings blue

Old September 30th 06, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
James Leavers

My PC froze about 75% into the performance test at the end of the
installation, when upgrading from the first public beta to RC1.

I restarted the computer and it continued the installation from the last
part of the GUI setup, e.g. setting the timezone, etc., and this time it
skipped the performance test and completed successfully.

I can now duplicate the crash by running the performance test though! The
first time I tried it, there was a glimpse of a BSOD before it restarted. So
I unticked the automatic restart option in Startup & Recovery and ran it
again, just so I could find out what the stop error was - strangely, this
time, it restarted anyway, but without a glimpse of a blue screen first.

The performance test worked fine on the first public beta - I got a 3.

Old October 2nd 06, 11:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Podiatrus

I think I have a similar problem, running 64 bit Vista RC1 on an athlon 64 x2
nforce 430 chipset. My windows hard drive is a Serial ATA (SATA) drive, and
I have two IDE hard drives and two ide optical drives. The machine seems to
BSOD whenever I try to access the IDE drives aggressively (IE, during a
performance test or big transfer). I've (unsatisfactorily) stopped the
problem by disabling my IDE devices in the device manager, but I'm hoping for
a real solution from Microsoft soon. I did not have this problem with Beta
2, and it's a little hard using windows without a CD rom drive.

Old October 7th 06, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
James Leavers

During the performance test, mine reboots at the start of the memory test. I
ran memtest86 for a good few passes and it didn't find any errors, so I would
imagine it's a bug.

Old October 7th 06, 03:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Robert R. Johnson Jr

I've hard from some users that build RC2 5744 fixes this. If you have access
to that build try and see if that solves it.

regards
Robert