Installation quits because it says nero burning rom is installed

Old September 5th 06, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Michelle

Default Installation quits because it says nero burning rom is installed

Hello,
I am upgrading from Beta 2 to rc1. The installer quits because it says I
have Nero installed. It tells me to go and remove it in the Control panel.
When I tried this the Microsoft installer crashed (many times). I have gone
through my entire registry and disks cleaning out every instance of 'nero' or
'ahead' (I had no IDEA how much they toss into the registry!) trying to get
this to work but I am at a loss. I am really trying to avoid doing a clean
install. Any idea where its looking when it does the compatibility check? I
even considered RE-installing nero just to uninstall it. But then I
remembered the uninstall NEVER worked in the first place when I originally
installed it. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Old September 5th 06, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
ko van Zeeland

Hello, I am upgrading from Beta 2 to rc1. The installer quits because
it says I have Nero installed. It tells me to go and remove it in the
Control panel. When I tried this the Microsoft installer crashed (many
times). I have gone through my entire registry and disks cleaning out
every instance of 'nero' or 'ahead' (I had no IDEA how much they toss
into the registry!) trying to get this to work but I am at a loss. I
am really trying to avoid doing a clean install. Any idea where its
looking when it does the compatibility check? I even considered
RE-installing nero just to uninstall it. But then I remembered the
uninstall NEVER worked in the first place when I originally installed
it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

On the website from Nero there are cleaning and other tools to correct this.

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/Clean_Tools.html

take a look here.

ko van Zeeland

Old September 6th 06, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Chad Harris

Default Installation quits Try this before uninstalling Nero!

In addition to Ko's useful suggestion for using the Nero cleaner and
reinstalling which might do your job, Michelle also go here in the registry
and make sure that if you have either an upper filter or lower filter value
you right click delete the value. It can make all the difference with your
burning software and is a fairly common cause of both Nero and Roxio and
other burner malfunction CD or DVD.

BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!!

To backup the reg, Michelle:

After opening the registry: FileExporton lower left radio buttonallsave
to desktop and tuck in a folder if you like.

To open registry:
Click Start Click Run Type in "regedit" (without qoutes)

Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet001\Con trol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Highlight the "upperFilters" and "LowerFilters" if any and go to
edit-delete.

I also did this same in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet003\Con trol\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

This is as frequent if not more a cause of problems burning with Nero or any
other burner whatever the version than corruptions or problems in Nero. It
only takes seconds to see if this is blocking your burning. I have seen it
do anything from keeping the burner from being recognizerd in Device Manager
(sometimes it is recognized but doesn't work), keeping Nero from opening,
keeping Nero from closing, and when you try to select the .iso to burn
keeping Nero from opening it up and burning it. And as I said, this is
hardly confined to Nero. Many forums say it's predominant in Roxio but
that's just not the way the filters work.

Delete either filter.

The article from MSFT on point is:

CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive appears to be missing after you install
Windows XP or Windows Vista Beta 2 [ed. note]through RC1 and RTM and Vista
SP1 and Vienna Blackcomb as Long as Redmond has a campus]:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/en-us

Good luck, and I'd check the values here before uninstalling and
reinstalling Nero.

If you do have to uninstall, in edition to the Nero cleaning tools on their
site as Ko suggested, it's helpful to use the Windows Installer Cleanup
Utility which is frequently used for uninstalls of troublesome apps by the
Vista teams and most MSFT engineers and cleans registry orphans and corrupt
files in the way of uninstalls and reinstalls. It's good practice.

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/MSICLEAN.htm

Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility( and Download)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301/en-us

CH

Old September 6th 06, 03:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation_setup
Kerry Brown

To backup the reg, Michelle:

After opening the registry: FileExporton lower left radio
buttonallsave to desktop and tuck in a folder if you like.

Chad

I don't know if this will properly backup the registry. I haven't had time
to play with the registry in Vista yet. In XP it does not do a complete
backup of all keys. Also when you try to restore/import the file it merges
the backup file with the current contents of the registry which often causes
erratic results. In XP the export/import functions are really only useful
for saving individual keys. Is this changed in Vista?

--
Kerry
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User